Yes, I admit it. I read Breaking Dawn, the fourth book in the Twilight series. I couldn't help myself; I had to read it because it was the only book in the house that I hadn't read yet. I do love reading! I did not bother to read the second or third books—it wasn't really necessary; I did not get lost for having missed the events in those books. Once again, the book was so fraught with angst (trouble; anguish; torment) that I had to wonder, "How can these characters take everything so seriously, all the time, without a break?" Everything—and I mean every event, thought, feeling, you name it—is High Drama. Somber; crucial; anguished; grave.
Oh, all right. Michael says it's not that the characters were never happy. He says they just didn't dwell on their happiness. Well, maybe we should all dwell on our happiness a little more, instead of always fighting it and trying to prove that we actually shouldn't be happy—like Bella, and particulary Edward do. Heck, they even fought on their honeymoon—give it a break, please!
The bigger wonder is this: "How can the author bear to be so heavy?" I think maybe she tried to include a little humor, but it was hard to detect, and short-lived. Maybe Ms. Meyer is a depressed person, and this is her outlet. Yeah, we're talking about vampires and werewolves, but still . . .
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment