
Brandon is my funny, funny boy. He was born in Tennessee (does that have something to do with the funny stuff?). Can you guess which kid is Brandon?
When I was pregnant with Brandon, Bruce was going to school full time and delivering pizzas every evening for work, so when Brandon's due-date got close I was a little worried. For one thing, my babies came pretty fast once they decided to come; but more worrisome was that if Bruce was on a pizza run I would have no way to contact him if I went into labor. I had friends who would have been more than willing to take me to the hospital, but that's just not the same as having your husband there. So when I went for a pre-natal appointment and they said I was really close, I told them my woes. The doctor said, "You are so close; just go to the hospital and we will start you." If you have ever been in the 39th week of pregnancy, you will completely understand that I was more than willing to take them up on that.
So Bruce and I went home and called some friends to babysit. We took Michael, Jason and Lindsey over to their house, visited a little, got some lunch, went to the bank. It was kind of surreal. I told Bruce, "This is more like we are going out to buy a puppy than going to have a baby." When we got to the hospital, they checked me, hooked me up with some pitocin and left us there. For six hours! Nothing interesting happened until about 6:30 p.m. The doctor came in and broke my water and Brandon showed up around 7:00. Brandon is the only baby I saw being born—I really had no desire to watch myself (or anyone else) giving birth. But when his head was delivered the doctor sat me up so I could see him. I never knew before that babies came out blue! Isn't that funny? Brandon's mouth was twitching and moving even before the rest of his body was delivered—at the time I thought he was just preparing to cry, but now I think he just couldn't wait to tell me his first funny joke. :-) 
When Brandon was starting school he had NO interest in learning his letters and numbers, thank you very much. Now he is a terrific reader; I can't drag him away from his books. He is very smart.
All of Brandon's brothers and sisters like to play with him, from Michael who is six years older, to Jessica who is five years younger. He frequently says hilarious things, but in a very dry way—which makes them more hilarious. Better still, he knows he's funny and plays that up for all of us. He can also quote you lines and sing songs from every movie he's seen. (Actually I think he instantaneously memorizes every movie he's seen.) He uses movie quotes in every day conversations—usually in a way that will make you laugh. Brandon also invented one of our favorite family games: The Movie Question Game. To play, one person will ask a question from a movie—a question that a movie character asked; then someone else has to answer the question with the line used in the movie. For example, Brandon will say, "I've got a movie question: 'What's that got to do with anything?' " Then anyone in the family has the chance to answer; the right answer in this case would be : " 'No, no. He's got a point.' " You might go on to explain that the question was asked by Kronk in The Emperor's New Groove, and it was his shoulder-angel who answered the question. It is currently a favorite game of our family.
We all like having Brandon around. He's a good kid and a nice one. I think we'll keep him!




1 comment:
That's awesome!! Brandon is a pretty neat person. ;)
Post a Comment