Monday, October 29, 2018

News From Hungary! vol. 40

Volume 40. We will only make it up to volume 42, and then Brandon will be home. Wow.

I had a hard time finding Brandon in this picture.
I finally did see him because I recognized Elder Rusz next to him.

Cold Fusion *1

Well, this last week was really good, though full of various hardships. Though looking back they weren't that bad, in fact they weren't even all that hard, just tiring.

On the topic of injuries from my bike accident, I actually got some whiplash when I hit my head and for the next four days moving my neck at all was pretty painful, aside from that where I landed on my shoulder actually did get bruised, but no where near as bad as the bruise on my leg. *2

So, this last Sunday was really good. It was probably the most tiring day of the week, but it was still good. There were many good things that happened, and a lot of walking. After church we did a quick companionship study to look through the brand new ward list that we were given. As we were going through we realized that there are sixty-two different addresses of members who live in the actual city of Székesfehérvár. This was a surprise to us because most of the active members don't actually live in Székesfehérvár. So we went on out and began looking them up. Talking to everyone who crossed our path as we did so.
One of the inactive members was really funny. We knocked on the door and a couple moments later she opened it, and as soon as she saw who we were she slammed the door closed and locked it. 

Poor tired Elder Rusz and I had no idea what to do, and just stood there for a bit. Elder Rusz Whispered to me. "I don't think that she wants to talk with us." To which I responded a bit more loudly, "Vajon miért nem akar beszélni velünk." Which would mean, I wonder why she doesn't want to speak with us. *3  About two seconds after this she unlocked and opened the door and told us gruffly, "Hétőn 17:00 találkozunk." 
And so we will be meeting with her at five o'clock today. Hopefully she can refer us to someone who would like to hear about the gospel, and also be more active in the church as well.

Saturday
Well I was on splits with the Zone Leaders. Good guys they are, and I found it helpful to getting some direction as to what it is that I should do for the last two weeks of my mission. Until now I have been doing almost nothing but tracting and streeting, but now I am going to take it on myself to try and meet with many members as well, and see if they can point me in the right direction to find some people.

Friday
We Left early in the morning for Budapest, then we had interviews with President Hettinger (see Wednesday to see why), Then we went all the way back to Székesfehérvár for district meeting, then we did a bunch of tracting. Then the Zone Leaders showed up for splits, and then we went to bed. Just thinking about that day makes me really tired. But it was a good day, and we got a lot done.

Thursday
We had our weekly planning in the morning, then we went and had a lesson...Wait, no we had the lesson and then we had weekly planning. The lesson was awesome, It was honestly one of the best lessons that I have ever had. And it was the very first time ever that I have taught the Restoration and had the person that I taught actually realize the implications of a restoration to the Lord's church. The person we taught also invited some family over that day, I am not sure if it was for the lesson, or if it was just because they were going to be over anyway, but whatever the reason we were able to teach them all, and commit them all to reading the Book of Mormon. I have high hopes for them and I think that they are really going to progress in their knowledge of the gospel and be baptized some day.

Wednesday
We worked hard all morning, and then we rushed off to the train station to go to interviews with President Hettinger. All was going well until we reached our transfer point, where we needed to get onto a different train. Pretty much as soon as we were on the platform it was announced that our train was leaving! So we ran to make our train, but to no avail, it was already out of site by the time we were standing on the platform where it departed from. For a moment we were at a loss as to what we should do. But we quickly made some phone calls and got on a different train. It was a Rail Jet, which means that it basically never stops, and if there was a speed limit for trains, then this one would break that speed limit. We were almost to our destination when we received a phone call from the mission president's wife letting us know that we actually would not be able to meet and have our interview that day, and that if we would like then we could go to Budapest on Friday to meet. *4

Tuesday
This was a fantastic day. Once again we had to get up really early in the morning to make it to the conference thing with Elder Cook. It was really good, and apparently the biggest key indicator (one of the regular missionary goals that we plan for each week) that showed whether someone would be baptized or not was church attendance. And so we have since then been breaking our heads over the question "How are we going to get our friends to church?" I personally am stumped on that one. But our branch president has said that for him what helped in his personal decision to come to church was when he felt the spirit that the missionaries brought. And for him personally it took a long time for that to happen. So I guess in lessons, we will do our best to make sure that the spirit it present. Especially as we strive to invite our friends to church.

Well, I believe that this is all.
Yep, unfortunately I forgot to take any pictures this week, but I will take some today, because I am going to get a haircut. One last Haircut before I go home. Hopefully my hair doesn't get too long before then because It would be great if you all got to see it while it was still relatively fresh. I intend to get a more European style haircut again.

Well, that is all!
I love you!
Brandon.


Mom's Notes:

1. Cold Fusion?

2. "Some whiplash?" I hope there are no repercussions to this.

3. Hehehe! "I wonder why she doesn't want to speak with us?" I love it.

4. Poor Brandon. He has learned to love Hungary and the people there, but he really hates taking the train.

That's all for today. Only two more...   !



No comments: