Wednesday, August 8, 2018

News From Hungary! vol. 28

The good news is that I finished the wedding dress (about two weeks ago, actually). And I finished the dress I'm going to wear. And the vests are mostly finished, and the alterations on the girls' dress are almost done too. Whew! (The wedding is in two days!) 

So, I'm posting Brandon's email late this week, but here it is:



Sick and Dying *1

So for this entire last week, from Tuesday to Saturday, Elder Hess was really sick. He couldn't eat or drink almost anything for about 2 days and he could only drink a little bit on the third day. So we had to cancel all of our appointments and wait out the sickness. I think that normally you would go to a doctor for something like this, but Sister Hettinger just told us to wait it out. I personally think that that was not the right thing to do, especially since I could hear my companion violently vomiting out all the contents of his stomach. But Elder Hess is fine now, so I guess all is well that ends well right? *2

Sunday
Well, I don't know if I have ever seen someone brag in church about how wonderful they are, but now I have seen about five people do that. It was honestly one of the strangest Fast and Testimony meetings that I have ever attended.  *3
Luckily there were some members who actually bore wonderful testimonies. I am starting to see what people have meant when they said that Debrecen is not a great place, but I still refuse to believe that it is an unsolvable problem. I think that just some praise and focus on the good things and stuff will start pulling into shape. Other wise Sunday was great. We went and looked up some people, and then as we were going I suddenly got really dizzy and all of my senses went really crazy, but we sat down and it all got better. I really hope that that is not something that I should still be worried about. Because I am not worried about it. *4

Saturday
We were on splits with our District leader, mostly so that I could get out of our apartment. We did some really good work and found 4 potiential investigators. So hopefully they will turn into real investigators. We went Chalking. We drew this big Hopscotch across the sidewalk, with each step explaining the Gospel of Jesus Christ, It was pretty fun and we got to talk to a good number of people while doing it. Didn't get any new investigators though.

Friday
We started our split with the District leader. It was good and we got to leave the apartment and buy some things so that Elder Hess wouldn't starve to death. (He was only able to eat crackers and drink Poweraide)

Thursday
We left the apartment for district meeting. It was not a great Idea, because Elder Hess still felt pretty sick, and I think that walking around didn't help at all, but he really wanted to get out of there, so we did. Other than that we just stayed in the apartment. He slept while I studied Church materials, and sent some texts to our investigators.

Wednesday 
I Cleaned the whole apartment.

Tuesday
Elder Hess started puking at about lunch time and we went home and called Sister Hettinger.

Debrecen is a really cool city, it is just unfortunately hard to work with the members here.
Hungarian is a hard language. Most people spend the first six months not really understanding or speaking. By about Months five and six you really start understanding enough to get by. I at this point in my mission get along really well language wise, but there are still words that I don't know, and things that just catch me off guard. *5

Ryan will serve in one of these places. Germany, Leon France, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, or Hungary. (Mostly I just think it would be cool if he served here in Hungary) *6


I love you all, and I am going to send picture in a separate email.

Sincerely,
Brandon.


Mom's Notes:

1. Dying?

2. Brandon will learn, when he has kids, that sometimes you just have to wait out the violent vomiting. And clean up a lot.

3. Maybe they can butter up these awesome people, letting them know that their talents would be a great help to the missionaries...

4. Uh-oh! I wonder if Brandon is going to come down with Elder Hess's bug? That would be a bummer for both of them.

5. Answers to questions I sent him.

6. Ryan's mission papers were sent in ...not last Sunday, but the one before. Where will he go?


And that's it for this week. Now, back to wedding preparations...

No comments: