Today, on the bus, I was just sitting there minding my own business and playing Sudoku on my phone. At one stop a man got on and, even though there were lots of empty seats, he sat right next to me. He glances at my phone and says, "How do you text on that thing?"
I say, "I go to my 'contacts' list and enter the name/number that I want." and go on playing my game.
He says, "Text me."
Well, that was unexpected! I say, "I can't; I don't have your name and number in my phone."
He tells me his name and waits for me to do something. I say, "I don't have your number." and play my game.
He says he doesn't know if he can remember his number. He thinks for a minute and then slowly gives me his number. I nod, and keep playing my game, wondering— what's the deal here? Is he just friendly? is he simple? does he think I'm cute? (I wasn't this afternoon), is he looking for a friend? I don't know what to say, so I say nothing. I am very rude, I suppose. After a few seconds he says, "Give me your phone number."
!?!
I say, "I don't give out my phone number." And I wonder how long I will be sitting next to this man. But he got off at the very next stop.
And this little adventure is the most unusual thing that has ever happened to me on the bus.

6 comments:
weird. i would be rude too.
Was it my dad? Because that really sounds like something he would do.
That's weird! I don't think you were being rude, you were being safe. :)
Haha! It was not your dad, Tami. He was more Native-American or Latino-looking.
He was totally trying to pick you up! He's not very good at it, either. Too bad I wasn't sitting a few seats behind you. I would have moved up by you, asked, "Excuse me, ma'am, but is this gentleman bothering you?" and then leaned down and given you a great big smooch!
Either that, or punched him. Creep. Stay away from My Woman.
that sounds a little odd. I don't think you were being rude. :)
Post a Comment