Thursday, March 17, 2011

What a Week!

It is probably my just punishment for leaving my family in the lurch, so to speak. Not that I'm rescinding—the "strike" is still on, and probably will be permanently.

We've had a crazy week! First of all, Mom went on strike. Since I quit being the housekeeper, I discovered that the kids will actually do a fairly decent clean up; it's just that after they've done their job once for the day they think they are done. So if the kitchen's been cleaned and then five people each get out three dishes, two butter-knives and one cup . . . and the milk and bread and two jars of peanut butter and three flavors of jam . . . then those things all stay out until the next day. And somehow nobody ever sees the dirt on the stove-top. But I do have to say that Ryan did a superb job on the kitchen last night. I think we are getting it.

Well, on Saturday all our drains backed up and flooded the basement. This could have been sheer catastrophe—and expensive. But the kids discovered it early and used the wet/dry vac in the basement. And my marvelous husband rented a power snake and got the line clean and working again. Yaaaay!!

Monday evening I was thinking our house didn't smell so good. Did the cat or the dog poop somewhere? By Tuesday night I had it figured out. Nobody had done any laundry after the drain thing happened. And there was a LOT of laundry in the basement when it flooded. Ugh!

Yesterday (Wednesday) I drove my kids to school and then stopped at Wal-Mart for Oxy-Clean and Febreeze; when I got back out to the van it wouldn't start. It really wouldn't start. My parents came to get me and we left the van there. I came home to a rather disastrous house, with no time to work on schoolwork, and I had to figure out how to get the kids home from school. At least that last one wasn't too tough—just a phone call, since their cousins also go to Entheos.

School got out at 3:15; the kids called me at 4:30 to ask what was going on. By 5:00 Bruce was heading out to see what was going on, when the kids finally got home.

I fixed dinner in a really dirty kitchen, we ate, and then we were going to go back to Wal-Mart so Bruce could have a look at the van. With my nerves all a-jangle, I ignored all the cleanup that had to happen and tried to soothe myself by playing the piano instead. Pretty soon the little girls were shrieking and dancing behind me; older kids were getting ready to go to Mutual; Bruce was on facebook; Michael was on his computer. I felt like the saloon pianist in a cartoon—the guy who just sits there playing, hunched over the keys while bullets whistle around his head.

At last, in the rain, Bruce and I drove his car back to Wal-Mart so he could check out the van. It's not the battery. It's not the starter. It's probably the fuel pump. But he couldn't do anything in the Wal-Mart parking lot, in the rain, in the dark. So the van has to stay until he can get back to it. We went back to his car and guess what—it wouldn't start! One of the battery cable/clamps broke. So we called a friend to take us home; the car will stay there until Bruce can get to it after work today.

At least all this is happening over Spring Break, which is good. That is the silver lining. Because I don't really have to go anywhere this week. Hopefully the car stuff will be worked out by the weekend and life will be back to normal.

Or is this normal?

1 comment:

Lindsey North said...

well, today, I started cleaning the stove, but Jason's stuff was on the way, so I didn't finish it. but your complaint is valid. :)
It sounds like you haven't enjoyed yourself to much this week.