Wednesday, March 30, 2011

2011 Poetry Contest!

Well, it's just around the corner: April—National Poetry Month—which means that it's time for Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest! Aren't you so excited?

This year's contest is to write a limerick. I love limericks—they are so silly!

For those who may not remember this from high school English class, a limerick is a poem with five lines: lines one, two and five rhyme with each other; and lines three and four rhyme with each other, but not with lines one, two and five. Here is a classic example:

There was an old man of Blackheath
Who sat on his set of false teeth.
Said he, with a start,
"Oh, Lord, bless my heart!
I've bitten myself underneath!"


The meter (the way it sounds) is usually something like this:

Ta-TUM ta-ta-TUM ta-ta-TUM
Ta-TUM ta-ta-TUM ta-ta-TUM
De-DAH dee-dee-DAH
De-DAH dee-dee-DAH
Ta-TUM ta-ta-TUM ta-ta-TUM


(If you read a limerick out loud, you'll hear how it should sound.) Here's another example:

There was an old man of Ibreem
Who suddenly threatened to scream.
But they said, "If you do
We will thump you quite blue,
You disgusting old man of Ibreem."

As you can see, limericks are also rather ridiculous.

So here's the contest: Write a clever limerick.

The contest will run for two weeks, from today, March 30 to Saturday, April 16.

  • You can post your poetic entries as comments to any of my posts between now and April 16.
  • Participants may enter as many poems as they want to write—BUT children do read and participate on my blog—please keep this in mind, as you create!
  • Poems will be judged on rhyme, meter, and overall silliness.
  • There will be one winner in each of two categories: Children (up to 12 years old), and Everyone Else (older than 12)
  • The winners will be posted on Sunday, April 17.
  • The winner of the Children's Division will receive a Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest certificate, their poem will be posted in the sidebar as the poem of the week, and they will receive their choice of a large package of M&M's or a large package of Skittles! *
  • The winner of the Everyone Else Division will receive a Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest certificate, their poem will be posted in the sidebar as the poem of the week, and they will receive their choice of either Decadent Mint Brownies or a Strawberry Bouquet! *
*Winners who live more than 25 miles from Salt Lake City will receive a Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest certificate and a package of M&M's or Skittles, plus the recipe for the mint brownies (and I don't just pass that around to anyone!). ;-)

So wax poetic; be clever; get silly! And good luck! ;-)

(To see past winners, click here (2009) and here (2010).

30 comments:

Twisted Chicken said...

Here is my first ever limerick. It was fun to write. I think I'll try it some more.

In Utah there lives an old fool
Who never quite made it to school.
She grabbed a balloon
And formed a baboon.
Then children and friends said "How cool!"

Twisted Chicken said...

Three sisters who can't sing a note
Had practiced a song that they wrote.
The brothers all cried.
The parents just sighed.
Their voices were worse than the goat.

Twisted Chicken said...

Okay, last one for today.

There was a young guy with a pig.
It grew up to be rather big.
He ran out of bacon.
The pig started shakin'.
"Come here, little piggy pig pig."

Twisted Chicken said...

I guess that wasn't the last one because I just thought of another. You can stop me any time.

I once knew a guy so silly
In summer he thought it was chilly
When it snowed he was warm
He would dance in a storm
He even thought meadows were hilly

orangemily said...

Love Christine's entries!

Kaylie said...

You should leave an entry, too!

Kaylie said...

As I promised, here is a limerick. I'll probably write more.
Licks, sticks, licks, sticks, lick, sticks, LICKS, STICKS!
All I get from my dog, licks, sticks!
Not one of his toys
from that naughty boy!
All I get is some licks and sticks!

Kaylie said...

As I promised, a limerick.
It will probably make you sick.
But no matter what,
please do not say but,
please! I beg of you! Don't say ick !

Kaylie said...

I wrote this poem while watching Tangled. The name of the movie, Tangled and Rupunzel made me think of it.


Rapunzel dear, now listen here!
Why is your hair so tangled dear?
Tangles everywhere!
Don't you brush your hair?
Brush your hair for goodness' sake dear!

Kaylie said...

Shel Silverstein made a mistake in one of his limericks and I made the same type of mistake in this one.

That silly little Willy Boy
got too near a goat named Billy Boy.
Billy Boy was blue
feeling so down, too. :(
Such a silly boy is Willy Boy!

Rachel said...

So, this is my first time writing a limerick so this might not be the best one but I tried to do it as good as possible, so here it goes.


A cat and a dog,
running in the fog.
What a silly sight to see!
An owl in a tree,
watching as they flee
chasing after one another!

Rachel said...

Here comes another poem that sort of popped out of nowhere if you know what I mean!


If you have found
a bone in the ground
and you have a big red hound,
give the bone to the hound
and you'll be safe and sound.

Rachel said...

I'm sending you another poem and no one can stop me!!!!!!


With a big full moon
you will see soon
a big gray wolf
that will howl till the gulf
starts shaking from
that sound the wolf is making
the bone-chilling
yet thrilling sound.

Rachel said...

This is my last one!(For today, that is:) )


There was a dog in a bog
who was afraid of the fog
when the fog set in
he found a floating bin
and he climbed in
and went where a
good hound should go.

Loralee said...

I say you really shouldn't be thinking
That you think this poem is stinking
It's really not that bad
So please don't be mad
Or my heart will probably start sinking.

By: Brandon

Jason said...

Some seventy sailors at noon
Each had in their hand, a spoon.
"Give us food!" they cried,
But the cook denied,
And soon found himself a maroon.

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

I love Jason's! Here's mine:

There once was a girl from Peru,
Who learned how to play the kazoo.
All day she did hum.
Her lips became numb.
Was it really worth to pursue?

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

There once was an arrogant jockey,
Who boasted he could play hockey.
Though his five-foot frame
Made him lose the game,
It did not make him less cocky.

Twisted Chicken said...

A chocolate chip cookie is great
and ice cream with cake add some weight
A pie makes me smile
But once in a while
Mint Brownie's preferred on my plate!

Stephanie said...

There once was a little boy.
He thought he was very coy
He fell on his britches
and had to get stitches.
He then got a brand new toy!

Stephanie said...

Hey there little miss.
Where's your little sis'?
She went to find money
So she could buy honey
To put upon her dish.

Same poem, different ending:

Hey there little miss.
Where's your little sis'?
She went to find money
So she could buy honey
To give to her poor fish.

Stephanie said...

There once was bee
Who could not see.
He found a small flower
But thought it was sour
And flew back to his tree.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

I really don't mean to impose,
But I have to go blow my nose!
It could be an issue
So please get a tissue.
For it's dripping down on my toes!

Stephanie said...

My poor little Missy-moo.
She didn't know what to do!
She sat there an cried
Because she had tried
But we didn't want to eat her stew.

Stephanie said...

I really am no poet
and now you really know it!
Because I have tried
You sat there and cried,
And tried hard not to show it.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

This really is such fun.
But nothing will get done.
My house is a mess
And I could care less
As I think of another one.

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

Seven little mice in a hole,
Found themselves bunked with a mole.
“Kind sir,” they did cry,
“Must you dwell so nearby?
There is not much food in our bowl.”

Bruce said...

A fine little Lady of mine
Has asked me to make up a rhyme.
It takes a short while
with a wink and a smile
to make a good rhyme really shime.