Tuesday, August 26, 2008

School

I was going to write a nice story about how all my kids are in school now, even Jessica. My older Entheos kids started last Wednesday, but Michael didn't start at AMES until yesterday (Monday, Aug. 25). Jessica went in for her Kindergarten pre-assessment last Friday, but yesterday was also her first official day of school. She was so excited to go to school with all of her brothers and sisters! And she has loved her first two days. She goes to morning Kindergarten, and when we pick her up in the afternoon she chatters all the way home about her class and her teacher. It's very cute.

Jessica's birthday is September 6, but the cut-off date for Kindergarten is September 1. As school was wrapping up last year I just figured that Jessica wouldn't be going this year. So when they sent us registration materials I was pretty surprised, but also excited for her--she has really wanted to go to school. I have no doubt that she's ready for it; she knows her alphabet, upper and lower case; she knows most of her alphabet sounds; she knows her colors and some numbers; she can write her name. We took her to the "Kindergarten Round-Up" last May, where she got to meet her teacher and see the classroom, etc; and then we spent the summer with her, looking forward to the beginning of school. And she has been so excited to go.

Well, today I got a call from the school saying that Jessica can't go to Kindergarten this year. Apparently there was a mistake when they sent us the registration stuff. I can understand that--human error, you know; so I'm not really upset with anyone at the school. I also understand that there has to be a cut-off date some time; September 1 is as good as any other arbitrary date.

None of this would be a problem if we had never planned on her going this year at all. But I'm very unhappy that now, after we've spent the summer getting her built up for school, and she's gone and loved it for two days, we are being told she can't go. It's state law. The state won't pay for her schooling because of her birth date.


I called the state department of education this afternoon. The secretary who answered the phone seemed surprised that they wouldn't allow her to keep going to school now that she's already started. That gives me some hope. But the lady I really needed to talk to wasn't in. I left her a message, and I'm going to call her again tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how this all works out.

2 comments:

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

Poor Jessica! I hope things get sorted out. She really is developmentally ready for school, and it's a shame they would take her out after she's already started going, just because she's five days younger than the cut-off age. I hope something can be worked out.

Stephanie said...

I hope it turns out that she is able to go; it would bu unfair if they don't let her.