Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sleepless . . .

Today I've been missing my friend and sweetheart. Bruce has been gone on a business trip. He left for Las Vegas at 3:00 this morning; I heard his alarm go off and woke up enough to say goodbye. And then I tossed and turned, half awake and half asleep until about 7 a.m. By 8:00 I gave up and just read a book for a while. There's only been about ten times that I haven't slept with Bruce since we were married; eight of those times were when I was in the hospital with a new baby. I did OK at the hospital, doped up on pain killers. But I don't have pain killers to knock me out at home and I'm aware that he's gone even when I sleep.

The kids and I had a pretty good day today. In some ways Sundays are better when I'm on my own. When he is here, I expect Bruce to help with the getting ready for church, so I don't work as hard myself. Today we got to church on time, got home in decent time, had a nice dinner and then went to Temple Square. I can be more on the kids' level when Bruce isn't with us—at least for a little while. They got kind of wild when we toured the Conference Center. I was definitely Mom then: "Stay with the group. Stay with the group. Stop that! Stay with the group!" Still, we did have a pretty nice evening, although I really wanted Bruce by the time we were done.

I was kind of hoping he'd be home by now; the meeting was supposed to end around 3:00 or 4:00, and then there's the six-hour drive. But he called just a little while ago and said he will get home some time between midnight and 1:00. I'm really tired; I expect that tonight exhaustion will win out and I'll get some sleep. I imagine Bruce is pretty wiped out too. Well, if I don't fall right asleep, I at least know I will get to sleep after a nice snuggle around 1:00 a.m. I'll be very happy when he's back!

2 comments:

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

So sweet! I know exactly how you feel, Loralee. I was dreading to go to Young Women Camp a couple of weeks ago, the main reason being that it would be the first time Brad and I would be seperated. I have a hard time sleeping without him close by. I survived, but it definitely wasn't easy, and I'm not anxious about repeating the experience again.

Ben and Tami said...

Amazing! All your years of marriage and only ten nights apart. Ben always stayed at the hospital, so he was there all night when I had my babies. So, I guess I've never spent a night away from him.

I really hope you make it to your weight goal. I think it is awesome that your doing so well.