Thursday, August 28, 2008

School, part 2

Well, that was over swiftly. The law states: A board may enroll children in school who are at least five years of age before September 2 of the year in which admission is sought. Period. The end. They will make no exceptions. The lady at the department of education said that I could contact my representative and seek to have that law changed or amended. When I pointed out that this wouldn't help Jessica, she said that it might help someone else down the road. I don't exactly take that philanthropic point of view.

Everyone—the state people; the school—seems to think this is about me wanting Jessica to be a year ahead in school. They have all assured me that she could test out of Kindergarten next year and go directly to first grade (which, yes, we will probably do). But that is not the real issue. The real problem is disappointing my little girl who really wants to be in school. Maybe I should contact my representative and have him explain to Jessica why she can't go to school this year. Why should I have to be the villain?

Well, anyway, we will try to make the best of this. I don't mind having Jessica around. :-) And I will get her back into Nicole's Preschool; Nicole is a friend of mine, and she is wonderful with the kids. Also, Jessica will get her own library card soon. She will like to get books and Bruce and I will work on reading with her. Next year she will be in first grade.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I agree, you make them the villains, not you. ;) It's good that she will be able to test out of kindergarten, she sure is smart enough.