Your chance to show off your talents and win Fabulous Prizes!
Because it is time for the...
2018 Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest!
(wild applause here)
In the past we have written Haikus, made the Old Woman in the Shoe a kinder parent, and made Wednesday's child a happier creature—to name a few.
This year's contest is to write a limerick...
"Hey!" you say, "You've already done that one!"
It's true. I have. Because I love limericks. But this year there's a twist: The limerick must be about you or about someone you know. Ahhh! Time to start thinking...
For those who don't know (or don't remember from the last time), a limerick goes like this:
Line one has to rhyme with line two.
The rhythm is kind of neat too.
Line three and line four
Make one rhyme more,
And line five rhymes with one and with two.
(Wasn't it clever of me to explain that in a limerick? And with such good meter, too!)
To explain it once more:
Lines one, two, and five rhyme with each other.
Lines three and four rhyme with each other,
but not with lines one, two and five.
Got it?
The meter (rhythm) is generally something like this:
Ta-tum-, dee-da-tum, dee-da-tum,
Ta-tum-, dee-da-tum, dee-da-tum.
Ta-dum-tum, ta-dee,
Ta-dum-tum,ta-dee,
Ta-tum-, dee-da-tum, dee-da-tum.
Just for good measure (and another example), here is an old limerick that I've known since I was about ten years old:
There was an old stupid who wrote
The verses above that we quote.
His lack of all sense
Was something immense,
Which made him a person of note.
(This one may actually be an autobiographical limerick. Or a slur against someone else...)
So now that you thoroughly understand limericks (and have put up with my how to write a limerick-limericks), here are the Contest Rules:
- Your challenge this year is to write a limerick about yourself or someone you know—preferably yourself. (Think: childhood memories, something you did, something your kids did to you, even something you imagine about yourself... )
- It can be either in first or third person; that doesn't matter.
- It should be funny—or witty—but not unkind.
- You may submit as many poems as you like—be sure your name is attached to them.
- Poems must be submitted as comments on my blog. Poems submitted on facebook won't be counted. (Really, I can barely keep track of my blog.)
- All entries must be in by April 30, 2018 (the last day of National Poetry Month).
- I will post only two reminders (on facebook): one on April 16, and one on April 23.
- The winners will be posted no later than May 4, 2018.
The winner of the Children's Division (younger than twelve years) will receive a large (theater size) candy as well as a lovely certificate.
The winner of the Everyone Else Division (twelve years and older) will receive a certificate and a dozen home-made eclairs, prepared by Loralee's own lily hands.
So put your poetry caps on!
Tell your friends!
Submit to your creativity!
Enter, and enter again!
Win Fabulous Prizes!
And send in your limericks to
Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest!



8 comments:
My father believed he was clever
And made the best-written poem ever
"Look, family, it's art!
"Am I not so smart?"
They just rolled their eyes and said "Never."
My husband was growing a beard.
He suddenly thought it was weird.
It came off of his face
At a really fast pace.
Like magic his beard disappeared.
"It's poetry time," she declares!
"The prize is for one who prepares."
I can't help but grin.
My thought is to win
Some really great homemade éclairs!
There was a young man from Utah
Who didn't much like to "hoo-rah"
Instead he'd write
to pick a fight,
though his words were fairly pooh pah.
I like to eat my bread with jam,
and other times it's good with ham.
But though I could
I never would
eat my bread both with ham and jam
I thought up a poem quite clever
To enter into this endeavor
'Twas really quite nice
And would surely suffice
Too bad I lost it to the Nether
There was a young man who loved to cook,
But never made food just by the book.
His mother he blamed
For the habit acclaimed,
But if lunch looked wrong it looked like gook.
I'm not sure about that last line ��
So....
Did anyone win? ;)
Post a Comment