Monday, February 19, 2018

News From Hungary! vol. 5

Here is Brandon's letter from this morning (and a few *Mom notes):


If there is anything that I have learned this week it is that we are all ~"The Captains of our fates, and Commanders of our Souls." (I am pretty sure that this quote has nothing to do with "Master and Commander" *1) Each of us has the power to decide everything that we will do in our lives, and where we will go in our lives. This is especially true when one looks at our decision to be happy. Each individual no matter who they are can choose whether they will be happy or not, regardless of circumstance.

So... I will now relate to you the miraculous events of the last week. Don't laugh, they may seem unimpressive, or small, but I assure you these things were huge big, wonderfull things. *2

Sunday
It is always the biggest, and most accumulative day of my week it seems. No matter what I find that the most has happened on this day, despite how much I may have worked during the rest of the week.
I went to church as usual, the coolest part about Sacrament meeting was that I was actually able to pay attention again. Ever since having Sacrament meeting in Hungarian I haven't been able to do anything but fight the battle of not falling asleep in Sacrament meeting. Now I won't lie, I didn't make it through all of Sacrament meeting, but I made it all the way to the last 10 minutes. But it gets even better. I had a potential investigator contact me, During Church! And they didn't just call, but they came in person, this woman even brought her son. I don't know if you all remember the story about the really kind lady whom I spoke with a couple weeks back, but Elder Gilson and I decided to make her some Brownies and a thank you card. Yesterday she came back with the dish and some walnut bread as a "Thank You" back to us. She still doesn't seem to be interested in investigating, but we started a game night on Tuesdays and it sounds like her son might come over for that. So her family might be converted through the most common way that I have seen out here. Which is that a child investigates and gets baptised, then the family follows. That is about all that happened Sunday. I taught a lesson to a member family and they gave me dinner.

Saturday
This was a slow day, Elder Gilson and I went tracting and tried to look up some people who said we could come back sometime, but no one was home. In the end we decided to go to the branch house and facebook message (the fastest way to get people's attention apparently) some of our investigators and invite them to church. During this time one of the members showed up at the branch house. His name is Vili,( say, Vee-Lee) and he is a recent convert. So we just thought he was there for a recent convert lesson. We talked to him for a bit but then he begins pulling out a vacuum and I'm just like. Vili, are you cleaning the branch house? And he is like yup. So because Elder Gilson and I didn't have a whole ton to do (we would have traveled back to our apartment and begin to cook dinner) we decided to help him clean the branch house since he said he was basically going to do it alone. While we were cleaning with him the Sisters also showed up and helped us as well.  *3

Friday
Was weekly planning. We in our last zone conference were instructed to follow every single step in weekly planning, and to read everything, even if it wasn't relevant. *For example, investigators being baptised in the following week. Because of this we now take, on avereage, six hours to complete this, with a lunch break in there too. After weekly planning we went to a Branch activity with one of our investigators. We watched a film and helped the branch to get to know our investigator.

Thursday
District meeting, MCM, and English Class. All happened this day. Which for me meant that I was stuck in the Branch House all day. But, two of our now potiential investigators are were there. And I will be meeting with them this upcoming Thursday. I also met with an investigator, Niki, and taught her about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Afterwards we asked if she would get baptised, she didn't say no, but she didn't say yes. She wants more time to read the Book of Mormon. So we will see where things go with her.

Wednesday
There really wasn't anything special that I can think of for Wednesday. I made grilled cheese sandwiches and tomatoe soup. The first grilled cheese sandwiches that I have had in about a year.

Tuesday
We had our first game night. It was really successful, we had three nonmembers show up, on is an investigator, another is thinking about investigating, and the last is possibly going to investigate. This Tuesday there are supposed to be more people than last. I can think of at least three people who could come, I am really hoping that this will be the door to a lot of people being baptised.

And that is all. Last Monday I went to a museum. It was really cool, they were closing for the day (at 2:00) but decided to let us in and see one of their exhibits for free.

That is all, I can't think of really anything more right now.
Love you!
Brandon.

This picture is also from the Balaton outing. Funny kids!

 Mom's thoughts:

 *1 I'm sure he is referencing the movie, Master and Commander, when he says this quote has nothing to do with it.

 *2 Brandon's English spelling and grammar are deteriorating. ;-)

 *3 It seems to me that Saturday was pretty great for a "slow day."

That's it for this week. Now, back to sewing and distressing costumes. They will be awesome! The show will be awesome! (It always is.) You should come! (Buy tickets here, and credit Kaylie North for the sale of the tickets!) 'Bye 'til next time!

No comments: