Monday, January 29, 2018

The Latest News From Hungary!

Well Brandon's been sending awesome emails, so this might become a regular feature on my blog for the next eleven months. :-)


photo taken by President Szabadkai (I believe) at mission interviews. I don't know who the sister missionaries are.
Maybe the pair that are in Brandon's district? 
Here's what he had to say today (and *Mom's notes at the end):

So apparently my email last week was super good. Hang on while I check out what I even said...Oh, so that is what I did last week, that is good to know. It honestly is a really good format because it really helps me remember what on earth I have done throughout a week. *1

So on Sunday
I didn't really do a whole lot, I went tracting and found a bunch of cool and really nice people, but none of them were interested in learning about the gospel. One of them was this really nice young dude who was Catholic, but he loved talking to us. I have spent so much time getting rejected by people that I have realized that I don't even know what to say to someone once they are interested in listening. I have done all kinds of things, to try but it doesn't really seem to grab their attention. The first one is telling them the Restoration story, another one is talking about the Prophet and apostles, and explaining about how the Church is organized the same as when Christ established it. But it doesn't really seem to work all that well. Beyond that I have had this realization that has been dawning on me throughout the course of this last week and that is that I need to be doing more to love these people. There is the song from "Enchanted" that goes "How does she know You love her? How does she know she's yours?" And while I am not trying to woo any girls, I am trying to get the people here to know that I care about them beyond trying to get them to be baptised. So, I am starting all kinds of little missionary projects to let the people know that the missionaries care about them, and hopefully in effect they will know that God cares about them.

Saturday
We Finished a split with the Zone leaders. I am a district leader which means that I get to go on splits with the Zone Leaders twice a transfer. It was actually super fun, and they have a lot of confidence in me and my ability to help improve the work in Veszprém.(If you want to spell it correctly then there it is. V-E-S-Z-P-R-É-M, It is okay if you can't get the accent mark over the "e" I have a Hungarian keyboard and that is how I do it. I made breakfast for them, Hashbrowns and Eggs, and they loved it. I have more to say about cooking but I will write it for Friday. Saturday was cold and windy, and that was no, fun. But I made this super nice note for one of our investigators who was sick. I drew this pretty rose on it and told her that Elder Gilson and I care about her; and that God loves her. Which reminds me. She came to Church on Sunday. She said that she wouldn't but she did. And she said it was all because we gave her that note! (Maybe I should write this in order starting with Monday and going forwards. ah-well. Next time)

a selfie
It makes me happy that while Brandon is camera-less his companion takes lots of pictures and his mother posts them for me to see and steal. I wonder where they got the matching ties?

Friday
We started the split with the Zone leaders. But before that Elder Gilson and I went streeting and met a couple of really cool people. One was this dude who wasn't super interested and the other was this Girl who was super interested. She told us that she is trying to find God in her life and that she wanted to look through the Book Of Mormon. But didn't take the one that we offered to let her keep. She did take one of our pass along cards though, and that is good because it has the Church Website in Hungarian and it has our phone number. So hopefully she will be giving us a call sometime. The split was really cool. I spent the 24 hours that it lasted with Elder Neumiller. Super cool man. But my favorite part was cooking. I love cooking for other people, in part for the praise when I cook a good meal, but also it gives me an excuse to make something especially nice, and then I get to eat something nice too. I made what other Elders have called "Pizza Man Pockets" But what I will call a Fried Pizza. Roll out your dough, make it like a pizza, then fold it in half, and fry it. It is actually really tasty but a lot of work. I barely had time to make it. *2

Thursday
Had District meeting. This is where my profound thoughts about loving the people more completely really started. Aside from that we had MCM and English Class. Really tame day. Oh, I guess that we also did weekly planning. *3

English class
more of the English class

Wednesday

We met with a new investigator named Dávid. Really cool guy, really nice, but super Athiest. He doesn't want to continue learning about the Church, but I think that if we can love him then he will change his mind. His only reason for not believing in God is that neither of his parents believed, and he hasn't seen any signs that God exists. (for some reason religion and missionaries and you name it doesn't count as a signs) We also met with the Vasvary family that day. Super cool people. Which reminds me that we, Elder Gilson and I, also really want to include the members in our trying to love the people as best as we can. So we are going to, if we have time, drop in and share a quick message or ask if we can help, every time we are in the area. Just so that our members out here can feel like the missionaries care about them too.

Tuesday
Just a whole bunch of tracting and looking people up. Which makes it a pretty rough day, although it really isn't that hard, just tiring.

Monday
It was last P-day. We went over to the church building and hung out with the youth and began making an "I'm a Mormon" video about Elder Gilson. I also want to do one but I don't know what to say. But I will figure it out. It is possible that I will make a "Draw my Life" Video. Which would allow me to tell more about myself I think. *4

I haven't met with Mohamed again but I have talked to him over the phone. He is super cool and loves us missionaries. And we need to make sure that he knows that we love him. I don't believe that he is the only Muslim in Veszprém, but the Muslim community is so small that he is the only one that I know of. The larges City in Hungary is Budapest, it is perhaps, by way of landmass, the same size as Salt Lake. After that there are two other smaller cities, and the rest are either slightly larger than Vernal or about the same size, and this is population wise.

Well, I think that is all for now.
Love you!
Brandon.

*Mom's notes:

1. I notice that Brandon starts a lot of his communications with "So..."  I do that too. I wonder if he started it, or if I did?

2. All three of my missionary sons now have told me how much the other missionaries liked it when they cook(ed) for them. All of my kids really are pretty good cooks. Moms, teach your kids to cook: it will make them popular later. ;-)

3. I wonder what MCM is?

4. I've learned, from stalking his mother on facebook last week (hoping to find some pictures that have Brandon in them), that Elder Gilson was a dancer before his mission; I wonder if he will talk about that in his video... I don't know what a "Draw my life" video is, but I hope that Brandon makes one!

And that is this week's news from Hungary. Yay!

(Maybe I will get my act in gear and give you some News from Vernal one of these days.)

No comments: