Monday, January 22, 2018

News From Hungary!

I haven't written much lately, but here is something worth reading. I got a great email from Brandon this morning. This time he actually told us  a lot about what he's been doing. Yay! So I will copy his letter here, and add some *notes of my own at the end.


This is the most recent picture we've gotten of Brandon,
on his last transfer day. (Jan. 2018)
I don't know who the two sister missionaries are. 
*1.

Here's what Brandon had to say today:


So going in order backwards the things that have happened this last week are: *2. 

Sunday I was asked to play the piano...In Priesthood not Sacrament meeting thank goodness. I also was invited over to a members house for dinner and that was super nice. The member's family name is Belovics. Super cool people, and their home teachers were there too, so we got to participate in that lesson with them. On top of that we looked up a man whom we were able to teach about the restoration at the time we weren't able to set up a return appointment. But this time when we looked him up we were able to plan that return appointment and now he counts as an investigator. His name is Dávid, and I am hoping that all will go well with him.

Saturday we met with another of our new investigators and it was a super cool lesson but it was also really hard. His name is Mohamed, and he is Muslim. His native language is Arabic and so it is hard to communicate clearly with him. But we got him and Arabic Book of Mormon and he was super grateful for that. So hopefully now he is going to read it. He said that he would but right now he is reading a lot of other things and working a lot so it might be a while before he really starts reading it. Mohamed told us that he accepts all of the prophets and only believes that Christ was a prophet and not actually the son of God. It was clear to see how dear to him his religion is, and I suspect that out here in Hungary where he is perhaps the only one, at least in Veszprém, who practices the muslim religion, that he would want to try all the harder to hold onto what he now believes and accepts as truth. 


President and Sister Szabadkai
Friday we had interviews with President Szabadkai. It was good, I often find that I have nothing to tell him. I write about all important details of the week and send that to him weekly so...I dunno.

Thursday, nothing amazing happened. We had district meeting and were able to watch the First Presidency address which was cool. And after that we taught an English class.


Wednesday we went to visit Érzsi Néni who is a member that lives in a tiny town outside of Veszprém. We accidentally got off at the wrong bus stop and had to walk what felt like a milk and a half. And then she fed us a small lunch, we gave a brief lesson, but it was more a lesson to give her someone to talk to because she lives all alone and about thirty minutes away from Veszprém. She after the lesson made it known to us that the "lunch" she gave us was more of an appetizer, and honestly she never did say that the sandwiches that she gave us were lunch. So she then gave us a ton of spaghetti which was good but it was too much food. Then we missed our bus so we just had to make phone calls for an hour and a half because the whole town had been tracted just a couple days before.


Tuesday this was our most boring day. I can't think of anything that happened on Tuesday.



Elder Gilson (Brandon's current companion)
and Elder Norris (one of his former companions—
it looks like Gilson and Norris were also companions at one time.)

Monday was P-day. It was pretty good. Elder Gilson and I decided to go running every Monday morning. It hurts a lot. But I actually enjoy it. It is satisfying to do something hard and a little bit painful so long as it helps you improve and do better.

On the topic of my shoes, they are beginning to wear thin through the bottom. I am actually on the second pair of shoes that I brought on my mission. The first wore out the beginning of last summer. The ones that I am wearing are doing pretty well, but the stopped being 100% waterproof. So sometimes my feet get a little bit wet but it isn't often. *3.

I love Veszprém. It is actually really pretty out here even though it is winter and everything is dead. The people are the nicest that I have ever met in Hungary and I have a super cool companion and District. Funny thing, I am in the same district as Sister Eddy, she went to Snow College and she and Jason know each other. 
I love my companion, he fills in the holes to the way I serve my mission and really just makes me better. Also he has been on his mission shorter than I have been but he knows more Hungarian words than I do, are at leaste more different ones than I do, so I will hopefully learn from him how to speak better. I did get all of the music you sent to me, thank you so much! I am really happy to get to hear my choir music again. It is also pretty good for some background noise while I am studying. *4. *5.

I have served in Tatabánya, Érd, Kispest, and Now I am in Veszprém. I liked all of these areas but my favorite was Érd. But perhaps Veszprém will change that. I don't know why but since serving in Veszprém I have gained a greater appreciation for pickles, this is good though because people keep feeding us pickles. I don't know what to say about my previous areas but the only one that I really didn't like was Kispest
, but now looking back I would happily go there again. It was a super cool area. *6.

That is all for now. I might write more later though.

Love you all!

Brandon.


Veszprém
(this is from a Google search; 
Brandon did not take this picture. )

*
Mom's notes on all of this:

1. Apparently when they do transfers, all the missionaries go to the mission office before they move. Some wonderful person took pictures of all the missionaries who showed up that day and posted them on the secret Hungary Mission facebook group.  I was a happy mom that day!
(Brandon's camera got stolen right around Christmas time, so I'd seen fewer pictures than even before.)

2. Brandon started right in on telling us about his week; no salutation. :-) (Sometimes I do that too.)

3. Last week I had a nightmare that I had to take Jason to the doctor because his feet were hurting him. As we were walking out the door I saw that his right foot was terribly deformed (in a way that, actually, he would have had to been born with, but you know how dreams are). I found out the reason his foot looked so awful was because his shoes had gotten so worn out on his mission that all the walking ruined his foot. So I asked Brandon how his shoes were holding up.

4. I think Brandon has really liked all of his companions, but the one he has told us the most about is Elder Gilson. I'm glad they are doing so well together.

5. I asked Brandon if the SD card that I tried to put good mission-appropriate music on (including the music he performed with the school choir last year) actually had any music on it. I forgot to check it before I mailed it off to him.

6. I would have thought that the area he liked the least was his first area, Tatabánya. I thought he was the most homesick while he was there, and he was also accused of driving a person to suicide while he was there. (The missionaries were the last people known to speak to this man before he killed himself. There was a big investigation and everything, and they had an emergency transfer as soon as the questioning was all done.)

So that's the news from Hungary today. It makes my heart happy to hear such a newsy, cheerful letter from Brandon. Y

No comments: