So, my big sewing project (one of many) is
almost finished. I don't know if I love it, actually. We'll see when the pictures come out. Once, in my corset-making class, way back when, Eugene (the teacher) came breezing into the room and practically sang, "Don't you just love sewing?" And I thought,
No. No, I don't love sewing.
This is still true. I
don't love sewing—as I've been reminded throughout the last two weeks of madly drawing patterns, dyeing fabrics, laying out patterns, cutting out fabrics, trying to find enough fabrics that went together (when I ran out of the stuff I had bought online, but didn't have time to order more), being unsure whether I
really thought they looked good together, sewing, sometimes taking things apart again and re-sewing, putting in long, long hours... And then, as each piece is finished and tried on, I look at it and think it's not exactly what I had in mind.
 |
| And, yes, I did use dye especially made for polyester. |
This happens pretty much every time I sew. I usually hate the clothes I make for at least a week or two, and often longer. So right now I've made a bunch of dresses, a skirt and top, a scarf, and a jacket that I pretty much can't stand to look at. Normally I really
do love creating something and seeing my ideas bloom from start to finish;
that's fun. But I just didn't have enough time to even appreciate that process this time around; instead I am rushing to finish everything today, before we go to Salt Lake for Thanksgiving. Hopefully I'll be successful. And hopefully seeing my work in pictures really will make me like it better.
 |
| my sewing room disaster awaits... |
But for now... Back to work. And, no. No; I do not
love sewing.
No comments:
Post a Comment