Thursday, November 24, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here I am, on Thanksgiving morning, in my father-in-law's house; it's quiet now. Pies are baked, the stuffing-bread is dried and cubed, broth simmering on the stove (smelling wonderful), and the turkey waits in the refrigerator for me to finish preparing it. In an hour or two my family will start waking up. We will talk, listen to music, play games, maybe watch a movie...

Later this afternoon the rest of the family will start to show up, bringing rolls, side-dishes, and more chit-chat, games, and fun.

Today I am grateful for my family. Especially my own family:

Bruce, my awesome husband who thinks I am fantastic no matter what I say, do, or look like (seriously, even in the morning when my hair looks like a tumbleweed on my head). My husband who carefully crawls out of bed every day at 5:30 a.m., careful to let me stay asleep, while he goes off to earn a living. The guy who talks so well about me all the time that complete strangers think I am awesome. I am thankful for him.

Michael, the kid who first made me a mom––now the guy who tries to always see the other person's point of view (and can show it to me when I am being a grump, without making me even more crabby).

Jason, my hat-wearing, finger-snapping son who loves the same music I do (and dislikes the same music I do).

Lindsey, my bestie; my kind, helpful girl who is a sweetheart to everyone.

Brandon, who always has something funny to add to a conversation.

Ryan, who can quickly solve problems. And who can understand what I'm saying/explaining without the need for pictures or written content. (Does he understand me better, or just listen better...?)

Kaylie, who always tries to be kind to other people, and who keeps me informed about what her siblings like, dislike, want, or need when I'm not too sure about it myself.

Rachel, who is quiet and insightful. When she has something to say, it is worth hearing.

Jessica, who has always been a ray of sunshine, and who loves everyone.

(And, I hardly need add, all of those awesome kids of mine are extremely intelligent, colossally good-looking, very witty, and just fun to be with.)

My family is (are?) my very best friends! I'm glad we all––all ten of us!––get to spend this holiday together.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks, Mom! We love you too; you're a wonderful mother, and we wouldn't be the people we are now without you. If I may speak for all of my siblings, we love you. Thank you for working on all the stressful Thanksgiving things for this time that our family will be together; it won't be long before that becomes a very difficult thing. Happy Thanksgiving, mother!