Saturday, July 13, 2013

Llamas, and Cattle, and Bears! Oh My!

We saw all kinds of animals in camp this week.

The Forest Service brought these llamas, Button and Mutton, up.  I don't really know why.
On Thursday, as I was making my rounds this herd of cattle was crossing our road.  Cows sound funny!
And we really have had a couple run-ins with bears, too.  Well, not me personally.  When we got back last Sunday we found out that a man who had stayed in camp had an interlude with a bear.  Even though he didn't have any food or nice-smelling things (like shampoo or deodorant) stored in his tent, he had been grilling steaks that evening and was still wearing the same T-shirt when he retired.  The bear could smell his delicious shirt and was clawing its way into his tent, so he punched the bear in the nose (through the tent wall) and it ran away.

Then on Wednesday we had another bear incident—but this one didn't have a happy ending.  A visiting scout troop did not mind the rules and left their campsite a mess:  candy-bars, food, and trash all over the place.  A bear got into their area and wouldn't leave, and it had to be shot. :-(

We saw other wildlife, too.

This little bird got into the truck.  The previous day another bird was flying all around the commissary.
We see deer all the time, but I haven't been able to get a good picture of one yet—including this one, taken at Camp Sunrise (one of the camps I deliver food to).

And yesterday my road was blocked by a herd of sheep for about 25 minutes—although I guess the sheep are not really wild life.. (Sheep sound funny too!)   It's just a laugh a minute up at camp. ;-)

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I like seeing the wild life. :) Some of the troops I've had said that they wanted to catch a deer or chipmunk. they never said what they would do after they caught it though... :)

Ryan said...

There is a deer and a faun hanging around the archery, and we have had to call a cease fire a few times so that we could chase them off the range.