Sunday, July 7, 2013

Antaeus

Hercules, of Greek mythology, came across a giant named Antaeus during his wanderings. This giant was huge, ugly, either stupid or evil (depending on who tells the story), and had only one eye.  Antaeus challenged Hercules to a wrestling match—maybe so Hercules could pass through his territory or something; I don't remember exactly.

Hercules took Antaeus' challenge; they struggled and clashed and grappled until the ground shook.  Antaeus' strength was almost too great even for Hercules.  Hercules would wrestle him to the earth, but every time he fell Antaeus came up again even stronger.

You see, Antaeus was born of Mother Earth and so when he touched the earth his strength was renewed and increased.  When Hercules lifted Antaeus he could feel Antaeus' strength—even his very breath leaving him. Then, thinking he had won, Hercules would throw Antaeus down to the ground or into the river, but Antaeus would spring back up completely invigorated.  After some time Hercules realized what was going on, so he held Antaeus up, away from the earth until all of Antaeus' strength and finally his very life left him.


Every now and then I need to touch my home too.  It has been good to be here for a week before I go back into battle.

I am Antaeus.

Except for the huge, ugly, stupid/evil, and one-eyed, part.

No comments: