Sunday, April 7, 2013

Fashion Show

So I entered a couple of pieces in a SLCC fashion show at Fashion Place Mall last Friday.  I wasn't going to do it; it never even entered my mind to do it.  But my friend, Cherylene, said I should enter the draping project I did last year and Lindsey's prom dress that I made in my bridal class.  And the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be kind of cool.

I had to find my own "modelesque" model, so I asked my friend Nicole if I could borrow her daughter Ashlyn who is tall, thin and very pretty (I would have had Lindsey model her dress, but she is not tall enough.)  Ashlyn did a great job, and both she and Nicole played the game with me—even down to spray-painting a pair of shoes orange.

Here are some pictures:

This dress is super short on Ashlyn—it would have been short on anyone.  I literally did not have enough fabric to make it longer (remember, it was just a class assignment—I never intended for anyone to wear it).  But with a pair of white leggings, it made a pretty cute outfit. Nicole and Ashlyn came up with  all the accessories, right down to the spray-painted shoes. :-)

And here's a close-up of Ashlyn.

on the runway

a  photo with the designer
There's not much better to make you feel short and frumpy than having a picture of your 45-year-old self in T-shirt and jeans, standing next to a tall, pretty teenager in a formal gown.
;-)
I'm not entirely sure what I thought of the whole experience.  It was kind of fun to see my things on the stage, but mostly I felt out of place with all those other design students who have some really creative pieces—and who all seem to know each other so well.  I think I am just the quiet lady who is in some of their classes. I do good work, and I got a lot of compliments on the red dress, but that dress isn't anything you might not see in a store somewhere. Except the workmanship.  I will definitely own that I have really good workmanship.  I got more pleasure out of having Bruce post pictures on facebook and seeing what our friends had to say than I did from the show. 

Anyway, it was my very first fashion show. Yay me!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That's awesome! Your outfits look great! :)