Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Uh-oh, Spaghettios!

Bruce and I haven't had health insurance in years.  I'm not complaining; just stating a fact.  So last week I took advantage of SLCC's Student Clinic and had a physical.  I had a physical, a pap test (oh, hooray), and some blood labs done.  I was a big girl and I did not cry.

Anyway, they called me with the results of my blood tests yesterday.  Everything looks very good—all normal and healthy . . .

. . . except that my cholesterol is high, my bad lipids are high and my good lipids are low. :-(

I am not terribly surprised by this.  Actually, I wasn't surprised at all—I am slightly overweight, not super active (you know . . . outside of being a mom and full-time student), and have been going through a phase of craving—and indulging in—rich foods for the last eight months or so.  Nothing is "you are a prime candidate for a heart attack tomorrow morning" high.  It's more like, "Keep an eye on this and fix it before it gets bad" high.

>sigh<

OK then.  I can do that.

I told my family yesterday that if I gotta do it, then they gotta do it!  So it's limited red meats (doable), limited eggs (which I don't especially love anyway), and limited dairy (with which I have spasmodic love-affairs—except for ice cream, which is an ongoing affair). Plus we need more veggies and fruits (which I really love but never eat enough of), and more whole grains and brown rice, etc. (which I also really love), and more seafood (which I love discriminately). And less salt, but I don't use much salt when I'm cooking anyway—except on French fries, which are mostly a no-no. That doesn't seem so bad. The trouble is that my kids are getting older and gaining some kitchen skills and they frequently make yummy treats (like two to three times a week), and I'm supposed to cut back on that stuff, too.  Oh, sad day.

Well like I say, if I gotta do it, then they gotta do it.  Sweet treats once a week. And who knows?  Maybe I'll lose a few pounds along the way.  :-)

8:20 p.m. All right.  I've been to ballet class tonight; it's the first night we dressed for class.  I was right—I am probably the only one who's had as much ballet training as I have had.  The teacher knew my name by the end of class.  But I don't know if that makes up for my body.  Bleaaagh.  I feel like that ballerina-hippo from Disney's Fantasia.  >sigh<

So, I embark on another a new adventure! We'll see how this goes.

4 comments:

Kim said...

oveNothing like a little wake up call. Start eating oatmeal for breakfast. It's good for cutting through the bad cholesterol. Plus, it's tasty!

Loralee said...

Yep,doing that! I love oatmeal anyway. It's the evening chocolate cravings that are bad news. ;)

Kim said...

dark chocolate with walnuts is good for you!!! Just keep it to one oz per day.

Loralee said...

But who would hide it from me the rest of the time—and not eat it themselves, I mean? ;)