Over the last month or so Tucker and I have been having a battle of wills. Sort of.
At first I wasn't sure that's what was happening, but now I think that's what it is, and it all started around Thanksgiving.
Those of you who think I totally hate Tucker should be pleased to hear that he frequently benefits from my exploits in the kitchen. When I'm cooking I often toss him a scrap of cheese, a bit of gristly meat that we people wouldn't want, a little bit of egg, etc—but only things I know a dog should eat and would be fairly good for him (unlike my kids who've been known to toss him a bit of pocket-lint and then laugh while he snarfs it up). In fact, I've done this often enough that whenever I go into the kitchen he will now go sit on the top of the stairs and watch me hopefully until I leave the kitchen again. Sometimes he does the cute dog-face thing; sometimes it works out for him, sometimes not.
About Thanksgiving time . . . See, every time I cook a turkey—after we've carved it and had our turkey feast, and then had turkey sandwiches for the next day or two—I take the carcass and boil it up to make turkey soup. After about three hours of boiling, any bits of meat that were left on the bird will come off easily and you have a fabulous, delicious broth, too. Yum! So this Thanksgiving, as always, I cooked my broth, strained it, and saved the meat off of the bones for the soup. And, as always, there was a lot of skin and cartilage left over. And, as I often do, I gave those things to Tucker. So on that particular night Tucker got enough turkey to fill his dog dish generously—since he hadn't eaten his regular meal yet, I thought I'd let him have a turkey-goo dinner. And boy, did he love it!
Well a week or so after Thanksgiving I noticed that Tucker wasn't so keen on eating his dog food. This is the exact. same. food we've been buying ever since we got him a couple years ago—the same food he practically inhales with his entire back end wagging for the whole five seconds it takes him to eat it. The same food he searches the floor so carefully for after he's emptied his bowl. Weird. But I remembered that when we first got him he did express a distaste for the very first brand of dog food we ever bought—wouldn't touch it (we returned it and got a different brand). So maybe he was tired of his regular brand now. ?? When it ran out, during the first week of December, I bought a different brand. Again, he nibbled at it, but didn't really eat much. At first I didn't really notice . . . the holidays, you know.
![]() |
| Tucker drops one ball, and waits expectantly for Brandon to throw the next one. |
![]() |
| "Here, eat your food, Tucker!" (he didn't) |
On Monday he was just annoying me. He still refused to eat, and he was moping around the house giving me pathetic, sad dog-face all day, and begging, begging, begging (even though his dish was full of clean, "fresh" dog-food). The very last straw came when he started licking my hand every time I walked by. Eeeeeeewww! Ugh! I've been kissed by a dog! I have dog germs! Get hot water! Get some disinfectant! Get some iodine!
The weather being unseasonably warm, I sent him out to the garage. After a while we let him back in the house. And guess what? After about an hour of good behavior, he went right over and ate up his dog food without any fuss. And he's been eating it ever since.
The dilemma?
I just boiled up some beef ribs to make a nice broth for tomorrow. There's really nothing to them but cartilage and connective tissue—just some nice, big bones that a dog would love. Should I give him one or not?





1 comment:
OK. I have stopped laughing and wiped the tears from my eyes. Those darn black dogs (well, all of them, but mine is black, too)!!!
Boo does the same.darn.thing. We call it "goody". As in, "Boo wants some goody on her food".
Well, who wouldn't? Potatoes are better with butter or gravy, chips are better with guac or salsa. Why wouldn't dog chow be tastier with turkey or rib meat on it???
OK. I am laughing again. I don't give Boo bones of any kind just because they could splinter. But, the cartilage and beef bits or a drizzle of the broth? You bet. So what if she doesn't eat for 2 days waiting for more. She eventually gets the hint.
Boo got prime rib for Christmas dinner. That dog is spoiled. And, I get more lenient as she gets older.
But I also walk her (I am sure you know what that means...it involves a bag). So I am careful what I feed her, too.
He's so cute! I love Tucker. And my Boo-dog, too!
BTW: dog spit is medicinal LOL!
Post a Comment