This morning as I read my scriptures I read this again:
Mormon 9:21 Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth.
I've read this many times before. But a new thought came to mind as I read it this morning. I have always seen this to mean that if you had no doubt in Christ, then you would be granted what you ask. But it says, "doubting nothing." So my thought was that maybe it really means doubting nothing (maybe I'm kind of slow) . Obviously having no doubt in Christ; but also having no doubt in the strength of your own faith; having no doubt that you are a child of God and have a right to ask Him for things; having no doubt in the thing you're asking for itself--that it's OK to ask for that thing.
Does that sound like it might be right?
It's a new thought this morning; I need to think about it some more. But what do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I think you are right on, Loralee. How many times do we think we might be asking for the wrong thing? How many times do we think we aren't worthy to ask for anything, let alone whatever "special thing" we presently desire? The scripture you quote has only one caveat to asking for something: to ask faithfully, "doubting nothing."
Plus, I believe God really wants us to ask for what we want. That's why He tells us to ask many, many times throughout the scriptures. My favorite: Luke 11:1-13. For you Latter-day Saints, check out footnote "a" on verse 5: "And he said unto them, Your heavenly Father will not fail to give unto you whatsoever ye ask of him." (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/luke/11)
He doesn't say, "If you're good enough," "if you're the right kind of person," "if you ask for what I think you should ask for," or "only if you suffered enough first."
Just believe & ask. He loves you, too, right?
Of course, that's easy for me to say. I waver every now and then, too.
But I know Heavenly Father loves me. He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for me, to save me from death & Hell. If he would do that much, wouldn't he give me a fish, an egg, or a loaf of bread?
Wow, you've really opened my eyes to that. What an interesting thought that we could have so much power, simply by eliminating doubt!
I agree with your thought. I've always thought I could ask for anything I truly wanted. Sadly, sometimes I get what I want in an iffy way. Like, I really wanted a new couch. The old one's cushions smelt like pee really bad. Didn't have the money for it, but prayed for it anyhow. My inlaws then gave us their old couch cushions to us and viola a new couch. See, very iffy. Not what I had in mind, but it works.
Post a Comment