Try this out:
Sit cross-legged on the floor, with a box that's about six to eight inches high in front of you. (Dimensions are approximately 24" L, 10-12" W, 6-8" H.) Now keep your hands on that box for 24 hours; you can't put the box on your lap; you can move your hands around but not even one finger can come up off of the box.
This is what Jason and 135 other contestants were trying to do last night.
Jason and I got to the music store at 5:45 last night and got him all signed in for the trumpet contest (they ran two contests simultaneously; trumpet and saxophone). The Summerhays people went over the rules at about 6:30. The game is played like this: You must keep all ten fingers on the case at all times; if the judge sees you lift even your pinky just 1/4-inch, you are disqualified; the judge's ruling is final. For the first 24 hours no pillows, blankets, chairs, etc. are allowed (space limitations; fire codes). Contestants would get one ten-minute break within a six-hour block of time (so ten minutes any time between 6 and midnight; another ten minutes any time between midnight and six, etc.)
And at 7:00 the contest actually started. I made sure Jason was settled in, and then ran home to get the other kids so we could run to the store for supplies: chips, candy, drinks, a big mug with a straw, a sandwich, a cushion for him to sit on if he needed it. We got back to Summerhays at 9:00, just as they were doing a roll-call; Jason was hungry, but doing great! I left Michael there to feed Jason and keep him company, help him stay awake, etc. They were both in great spirits when I left, and there was no doubt in my mind that Jason would win. He is a determined young man, and if it was simply a question of will-power I knew he would do it.
Michael was awesome! He willingly and cheerfully stayed there to keep Jason going last night.
Back at home, when we went to bed, Bruce set his alarm for 3:00 a.m. so he could go and give Michael a break. When he arrived at 4:00 Jason was one of only 19 people left in the trumpet contest; tired, but toughing it out. But at 5 a.m. the unthinkable happened: As Jason was shifting his weight, one thumb slipped over the top of the other and he was disqualified. Oh nooooo! What a total bummer!
Jason said, "It's not as easy as everyone thinks!" (But really, I thought it sounded pretty difficult.)
I am so bummed out that it turned out that way, because I know Jason would have won otherwise. But I am really proud of him for his determination, and his good attitude. Good job, Jason!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I think it's awesome that he made it that far. Too bad he didn't win, that's a bummer. Way to go Jasen!
We got an update on the contest yesterday. The winners stuck it out until 4:15 a.m. Sunday morning. I think they worked for those instruments.
Jason says he's going to do it next year!
That is definite determination! Good luck next year!
Post a Comment