I've never seen myself that way but to hear Bruce tell it, everyone else must. He tells me that other women must be jealous of me. At which I scoff and say, "Yeah, right." And then he says,"Are you kidding?! You're the ward organist, you sing in the choir, you have eight kids, you are a great cook, you wrote a music program and got a stake choir together to perform it, you sew, you bake bread (which, in my opinion, counts as cooking) . . ."

Well, yeah. I sound practically perfect if you say it like that. But do people really see me that way? And if they do, is that really flattering, or is it kind of a drag?
Because I don't know if I'm really cut out to be Molly Mormon.

6 comments:
Well, you are pretty awesome! Sorry I spelled Jason's name wrong in the previous comment.
Thanks. But I'm not fishing for compliments. It's just that if people really think I'm so extraordinarily cool...
Well, that is flattering. But it's also kind of hard to live up to.
Much as I'd like to be, I'm not always Mrs. Coolness.
>sigh<
I just finished a bible study on "the virtuous woman". I think most of this applies to you!
Proverbs 31:10-31 (New International Version)
10 [a] A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full onfidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.
16 She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Thanks again, but you might question my "Molly Mormon-ness" if you'd seen me all of last week.
Thanks for your comment, Kim--you brought tears to my eyes. Yes, I'm serious, and yes, I can get emotional quicker than a 14 year old girl. Proverbs 31 is beautiful, and I can't read it without thinking of Loralee.
Loralee, I know you are human. I know you have down days, that many things in your life are not going your way, and that some big things in your life are in disarray. But no one judges you harshly for the things that aren't worked out yet.
What amazes me is how you work toward your vision. When you want things to be a certain way, you go at it with determination--and with faith, actually, because you know you will hit your goal. Whether it's a stage-quality prom dress or a Thanksgiving dinner for 20, you create exactly what you want, with confidence. Wow.
If you did this for the sole purpose of showing off--to impress--everyone would sense that and it would kill the beauty of your work. That's not what you do. You are after the joy of the the thing you create: a good dinner, pleasing music. The fact that others get to share in it only adds to joy.
Besides, I've lived with you for years, Loralee: you are happiest when you're working on a big project. The moment it's finished, you're restless until your mind latches onto the next project. Talk about "anxiously engaged in a good cause."
There is no down side to "Molly Mormon." She's not a prude. She doen't judge others, she just does the best work she nows to do. She is virtuous, lovely, and of good report. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. Her husband has full onfidence in her.
Loralee, many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.
Molly Mormon is definitely not what I think. More along the lines of, "Crazy, how does she do it all!"
Post a Comment