Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oh, Those Talented Britons!

We don't watch TV in our house. We do watch our favorite, carefully-selected movies at home, but real TV . . . nope. This started when we lived in Tennessee and we just couldn't get any signal at all unless we paid for cable. Well, TV wasn't a big enough priority to pay $25 a month when we were "starving students." When we got back to Utah, where the broadcast towers are on the mountain-tops and the signal was better, we were shocked at how stupid and rather depraved TV really was. So we just gave it up.

This means I've never seen any extreme make-overs—of houses or people; I don't know who "survived," or who the next American Idol will be. And I don't really care. But a couple of years ago someone emailed me this link to see Paul Potts on Britain's Got Talent, and I am hooked.

So let me share my little, guilty pleasure. You may have heard of Susan Boyle, who is all over entertainment news these days (and who is my current favorite). But how about Andrew Johnston from last year's competition? I cry almost every time I see these three performances. And I'm really impressed with Julian Smith, too.

Flawless (watch this one full-screen) was awesome—although the camera-operators are idiots (let's see more dancers and less audience reaction); and I get an absolute kick out of the Greek-Irish Dancers, but you probably need to see some "Lord of the Dance" first to really get the full effect of this one.

Then there's the incredible Hollie Steel, Shaheen Jafargholi, and Charlie Green.

So, this is what I do when I surf the net: I either look up new recipes, or I watch those talented Britons.

Enjoy!


p.s. She's not British, and she hasn't been on a talent-search show, but do a Google search on Emily Bear. She is adorable!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey, we don't watch tv either. We don't get a signal here in Logan and we, like you, don't feel it's worth it to pay for it. Yay for no tv. :)

Anonymous said...

Love my tv...no cable here either, though. Just a tivo box and netflix. Mostly I watch cooking shows on PBS. Chuck, Medium, Heroes, too. The kids love Kipper and Pingu and Sammy's Story Shop...and Veggietales.

BGT is wonderful. I am on YouTube a lot to see the performances.

Google Gin the Dog. My favorite of all time.

Kim

orangemily said...

They definitely have talent!
I may have to question the "carefully-selected movies" statement unless you count our occasional input as carefully selected, lol. ; )

Loralee said...

True. We have little control over what my kids borrow when we're not looking. But I haven't seen anything offensive yet. ;)

And, for some reason, we do get PBS. The kids love The Brady Bunch. But I love Arthur!

Ben and Tami said...

Brianna loves the Brady Bunch too! She watches it every day because I have a hard time watching the clock; so when Little House on the Paire starts I know it is time to close the office. That is much of my tv watching and I like it that way.