Monday, July 20, 2015

Missionary Monday!

Michael is coming home this Thursday! This is his final (missionary) email:

"Hey Everyone! As many of you know, I was called to serve for only three months with the option to ask for an extension or second calling at the end of that period of time. This mission has been hard at times and it's been fun at times but throughout the whole experience I've learned a lot of valuable things. It was a hard decision to choose to extend for the whole two years, harder than it was to choose to serve in the first place, but after much prayer, study, pondering, and counsel I realized that I must trust our Heavenly Father to know what is best for me. I asked to receive a second calling. After a long time (two weeks?) I met with my mission president and was informed that it has been decided that I will not be called again. I have learned much on my mission, more than some missionaries ever learn even after two years according to President Killpack, and it is God's will that I return home to do other things with my life. I'll be coming home on Thursday. To any of you who want to hear my final testimony there will be a testimony meeting at the chapel at 800 s 800 e Orem Utah at 7:00 PM. There are two churches there but there will be signs directing you to the correct one. I love you all and look forward to seeing you again. It may not seem like I was gone long to you but to me it feels like it was three times what it really was. I can't wait to move on to the next challenge. 
See you soon.
Love,
Michael"

Bruce and I will be going to the testimony meeting in Orem Wednesday night, and then we'll bring Michael home on Thursday morning. I'm excited to hear any stories he might have to tell us!

And Jason says:

"So you're all in a new area, or a new part of your life. Transfers are an interesting thing, and it's going to be interesting getting transferred to Vernal instead of to West Valley at the end of my mission. I was thinking about what to say to you guys, and I still don't really know what to say. But I'm pretty amazed that the family's moved. 
I've been on exchanges most of this week, working with mission leaders instead of with Elder Richards. It's really solidified in my mind and in my life the truth that if you're not out of your comfort zone then you're not growing. I think that's part of why we don't just keep the same callings our whole lives, and why missionaries don't either stay in the same area or have the same companion their whole missions, because God has to give or allow us challenges to learn. When we seek Heavenly Father's help and then overcome those challenges we grow, but we wouldn't do that without them. And not all challenges are miserable. I actually think that no challenges have to be miserable. President Burt said once that "If someone throws a glass of water on ya, all you are is wet." It's all what you do.
I'm not transferring yet, I just thought that everybody moving to a completely different place is a lot like a transfer.
What's helped me out the most is figuring out what resources I have in a new area and quickly establishing goals. If you do that, and do it immediately, then you can work in the new environment joyfully and with enthusiasm.
Those are my thoughts. I don't have any particularly cool stories this week. I'm certain that every thing I do will seem like a super cool story when I get home, but sitting here on a computer makes it all really hard. But I'm working hard and I'm loving life!
Love you guys!
Jason"

In just a few days we'll be seeing Michael again. Jason told me that he had asked about extending his mission, but says that it looks like he probably won't be extending. I say, "Yay!" (But don't tell Jason ;-))His cousin, Lita, left for her mission the same day that Jason left. She got back on April 28 (girls usually serve 18 months and boys for 24 months), and I've been anxious for Jason to get back ever since. And with Michael coming back this week, now I'm really thinking about Jason coming home!

Anyway, that's the news for this week's Missionary Monday. :-)

No comments: