Once the painting was finished there wasn't a lot left to do. I put together some flooring right inside the living room doorway—it was pretty easy: cut, peel, and stick.
 |
| cutting the flooring |
 |
| and putting it in place |
This was in preparation for the
new carpet that was coming on Monday (the 5th)! I know I said I would
never have carpet again, but I also know you should
never speak in absolutes.
;-) Someone—another man from Brother Pond's ward—donated new carpet, and they carpeted the living room and stairs and the new addition—Brandon & Ryan's new room, my new
sewing room!, and the . . . (What should we call that other space? The Wenzell Wing? Maybe the Pond Room?). I actually love the carpet. So maybe I didn't need to give up on carpet altogether, but just have some that was nice-looking.
:-)
 |
| the carpet guys, working on the stairway |
 |
| My poor old piano was banished to the cold front porch for six hours while the carpet was installed. It is looking in at my new sewing-room window saying, "Please let me back in! I am already terribly out-of-tune." :-( |
 |
| Once the piano was back in the house I took it all apart—yep, even removed the keys—and cleaned it out. No more pet hair or cobwebs. (Don't try this at home kids!) |
 |
| And then I favored my kids with "Linus and Lucy" (the Peanuts theme) because the piano sounds different and is way cool to watch when it's completely opened up. :-) |
I was a little disappointed that Bruce and I never did tear out and re-do the fireplace before this unexpected construction project, but an amazing thing happened: With the new carpet color I found that the fireplace isn't
nearly as obnoxious as I used to think it was. In fact, it looks pretty good. Yay!
So all of the construction was done on Monday, January 5. Well, not
all. They did come back a few days later and replace the old garage window (in the boys' new room) with a good window.
:-)
 |
| Tom, removing the old aluminum-framed, single-paned window. |
Anyway, on the 6th the kids and Bruce all went back to school, but I still had time off and a house to put back together. So I took the couches and furniture back to the living room—after cleaning everything within an inch of its life—and made the room utterly beautiful.
 |
| Before —waaaayyy before, when we took out the old carpet. |
 |
And now. Seriously, this off-kilter photo doesn't do it justice. |
That evening I instated a new law: The living room
must be perfectly clean every night before bedtime. So far it's gone pretty well; no family criminals yet.
Throughout the week (of Jan. 5) Brandon and Ryan worked on moving their bedroom, and I worked on moving into my sewing room. Their room looks pretty good—and still clean! My room needs some work (shelves will do wonders, I know.) We're also still organizing the . . . other space. I'll post pictures of the finished rooms when they are decent.
 |
| This is the new sewing room—before I brought all of my stuff into it. With everything in it, it really does need some shelves! |
 |
And here I am, sorting through boxes and boxes and boxes
of fabrics and fur in the . . . . . . anteroom? |
And now Lindsey is working on moving in to
her new bedroom (formerly Brandon and Ryan's room). It needed some
major cleaning and a paint job—which is still in the works. I want to paint her ugly, old dresser too, but I might have a mutiny—Bruce and Lindsey are anxious to get her moved into her new room. We'll see.
 |
| This is what the boys left behind after they took everything they wanted from their old room. Yuck! (Yes, I made them clean it out.) |
 |
| This is what the boys' new room looks like now, today. Pretty good—although there's a little stuff on the floor by the beds (which we will have to discuss). |
 |
| Lindsey and her friend Michaela, painting her room. |
 |
| Painting the bedroom door |
So it's been an exciting holiday for our family.
Really exciting. And it's still going on! So I'll post pictures of Lindsey's room too, when it's finished.
1 comment:
My goodness! That all looks soooo fantastic! I'll bet you do a happy dance every time you walk into a room!
Post a Comment