Wednesday, March 27, 2013

2013 Poetry Contest!

The time is now here:
Wildly anticipated
Poetry Contest

Yes, yes, National Poetry Month is almost upon us, and that means it is time for

Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest!  



(Wild applause here.)

This year's challenge is to write a Haiku (say "High-Koo"). 

Write me a Haiku—
Cool . . . clever . . . captivating;
Win fabulous prize!



For those of you who may have forgotten this since your elementary school days, Haiku is a style of Japanese verse—usually about something in nature. The format for a Haiku is five syllables in the first line, seven in the second line, and five in the third (and final) line.  The lines do not have to rhyme—in fact, I've never seen a rhyming Haiku. And, in real Haiku, the last line is supposed to be kind of a surprising twist, but I'm not a stickler on that.
 
Here is an example of a traditional-styled Haiku that I just found on a website about how to write a Haiku:

The last winter leaves
Clinging to the black branches
Explode into birds.

And here is a Haiku that I wrote about my favorite topic—the laundry:

Weeping and wailing.
Gnashing teeth. Eternal and
Endless my torment.

Get the idea?

I have to admit that Haiku is not my favorite type of poetry (although I have seen some pretty cool ones). So your mission this year is to create a great and interesting Haiku about . . .

. . . Anything!

I can't think of a specific topic, so surprise me! It can be anything from profound to ridiculous, whatever strikes your fancy. (Although I am partial to things that make me laugh.)

Here are the contest rules:

* The contest begins today and will end on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 12 p.m.  (noon)
* Post your original entries as comments on my blog at any time between now (March 27) and then (April 10). 
* You may enter up to four poems.  (Just remember, this is a family-friendly blog and my children will read your poems, too.)
Poems must follow the rules of Haiku (five, seven, five)
* There will be one winner in each of two categories: Children (up to 12 years old), and Everyone Else (older than 12)
* All entries must be in by Wednesday, April 10, 2013, at noon.
* Winners will be announced by 10 p.m. on April 10. (Indulge me—April 10 is my birthday!  Your poems can be an easy, inexpensive birthday gift. :-)  )

Fabulous Prizes will be awarded!

I can't wait to see your poems!

37 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm pretty sure that a haiku poem can also be three syllables for the first line, five syllables for the second, and three for the last one.

Loralee said...

You may be right, Ryan, although I've never heard of that.

But for this contest the rules are five, seven, five. :-)

Stephanie said...

I've never done one of these. Here goes my first try, I don't know if it is correct of not. :)

I need to clean house,
'Cause my laundry is out.
I think I will nap.

Stephanie said...

Two fish swim around-
In the pale blue fading light
The birds fly back home.

Theresa Mellor said...

Haiku don't usually rhyme, but the words gel in this one:

Crawling on the wall
A spider waiting dinner
Bothers not at all.

Theresa Mellor said...

Here's my winter tribute:

Drifting through the air,
Landing on my nose, softly,
Winter's gentlest kiss.

Theresa Mellor said...

Fog
Twining, wraith-like mist,
Seeping cold, wet, icy breath
Flowing up my nose.

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

This is an entry from Brad:

Bubbles foam and drip,
pop and spit, before my eyes.
Wipe my baby's nose!

Brandon said...

Trapped, I am trapped here.
Expected for too many things.
Home is a relief.

Rachel said...

Gee, the new topic that i haven't ever heard about makes me think more about the fact that I have only done the poetry contest twice. (although the first time I didn't know about topics and just wrote random poems. But then again I suppose I did win last year, but haikus sound harder than most poems!)

Loralee said...

You can do it Rachel!

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

Hidden in silence.
Heart beating as numbers rise.
Words: "Ready or not."

Hide-and-Seek, by Rebecca North

Kaylie said...

There is no dinner,
Not any breakfast or lunch
And it's my dog's fault

Kaylie said...

I sleep on the floor
The ground is my work table
I'm the cat's servant

Rachel said...

Their roots growing high
They won't grow in the dirt though
Onions know it's spring

Rachel said...

Snow takes the birds' place
'Tis warmer down south than home
Winter has arrived

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

Brad's second entry:

Typing, typing fast.
Make my point. Hitting enter.
There! Whew! I must pee.

(He wasn't sure he would post this one after his first icky poem, but I'm sharing it anyway, without him knowing)

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

Becky's second entry.

The white door opens.
Fresh, cool air hits me. I sigh.
Yes, my fridge is clean.

(I came up with this while cleaning my fridge this morning. I'm such a good girl)

Stephanie said...

Spinning, spinning, stop.
Turn around and spin again.
Mouse is in his wheel.

Twisted Chicken said...

I spilled food again.
I don't have to pick it up.
Dogs love when I cook.

Twisted Chicken said...

Two legs are now three.
The cane improves my balance.
See how fast I move!

Twisted Chicken said...

Sounds of rain at night.
No raindrops on the windows.
Is the shower on?

Twisted Chicken said...

Kisses from my Sweet!
Two strong sons wrap me with hugs.
Benefits of love.

Stephanie said...

Burning, red, and dry.
Pull them out and give a sigh.
Clean my contacts off.

Stephanie said...

Colors red, white, blue.
Freedom fighters, I thank you!
Brave, courageous, true!

Theresa Mellor said...

One more for you:

Etched against the dawn,
His great paean to the sun
Crows out loud and clear.

Stephanie said...

Here are Johnathan's poems (with fixed syllables). :)

#1:
Different colors;
They are blue, red, white, black, green.
Ninjas are so cool.

#2:
I like Wolverine.
And Spiderman is so cool.
And I like Batman.

#3:
I like Avengers.
And Hulk jumps up on buildings
And smashes bad guys.

#4:
Every Ninja and
Superhero are so cool.
Bad guys never win.

#5
Dinosaurs are the
Biggest things in the whole world.
Now they all are dead.


Anonymous said...

Tommy's, age 4 (with help to get the syllables right, but surprisingly little)
Luke fights Darth Vader.
Luke pulls off Vader's helmet.
Luke sees his dad's face.

Catherine's, age 6
Pretty paper doll,
Made with sewing, yarn, and care.
It will be for me.

Sam's, age 8
Biking: spokes and wheels
Strong gravitational force
Whooshing through the air.

Kaylie said...

Oh horrible day
Of agonizing terrors!
Spring break is over.

Michael said...

An annoying poem
My first haiku completed
I will write no more

I guess these are easier to make than I thought they were.

Stephanie said...

This one is from Peter:

I'm trying to think.
I can't think though. I don't know.
Do you remember?

Bro. North said...

Spotting my prey, then,
a low growl, deep in the gut.
That cookie is mine!

Bro. North said...

Scrumptious smile baits me,
arms ensnare, lips lock with mine.
I cherish this trap!

Bro. North said...

For putrid tresses,
This incantation instructs:
"Lather. Rinse. Repeat."

Michael said...

Apparently I miscounted my syllables so I'll post another.

one two three four five
six seven eight nine ten twelve
eleven too long

Ben and Tami said...

I once had a pet
A hamster with two eyes balls
One came out and fell.


This is a true story. Although I think the Hamster ate the eye.

Ben and Tami said...

No extra money
for Jason servin' God, but
older camera


We have an older digital camera Jason can have to take with him, if he needs or wants.

Happy Birthday!