In Draping class we are assigned something to build each week—a bodice, a skirt, a collar, etc.—and then we take pieces of fabric and drape them over our dressforms to make that item. First we tear fabric to the appropriate size and drape it over the dressforms (hence the name draping.) When the fabric is in place, we pin in darts, and mark it all up with a pencil so we'll remember just what we did. Then we take it off of the dressform, take it home and transfer the markings to paper to create a pattern. When the pattern is perfected, we cut it out of new fabric, sew it up, and go try it on the dressform again. Then we make any necessary alterations, transfer those changes to the pattern, and if necessary cut it out and sew it up again. We use up a lot of muslin this way.
Now, since my dressform is a size eight (which translates to size 6 in real people, I'm told), I will certainly never wear any of these creations, and I don't know anyone else who will either. And, truthfully, I don't like most of them that much. But this last week we got to do a "free drape" —anything we wanted to do, and I think mine turned out really cute. If I had a cute figure I'd make this pattern in my size, add some sleeves, and wear a dress like this. If this one that I made would fit Lindsey I'd give it to her. (I'd probably dye it though.) As it is, all I can do with this dress is show it off on my blog and on my school eportfolio. >sigh<
So here it is:
![]() |
| back |
![]() |
| front |
p.s. Only four days left for the poetry contest!



10 comments:
Well,I have a bunch of poems so I am doing them all at a time. Here's the first one.
There was an old lady who lived in a shoe
She had lots of children who lived in there too
She sure wasn't as mean as a big, old viking
Because every Tuesday she took them all biking
Here's the 2nd one.
There was an old lady who lived in a shoe
Who loved all her children and they loved her too
She gave them some broth and 3 loaves of bread
And gave each a kiss and tucked them in bed
Here's the 3rd one.
There was an old lady who lived in a house
Who loved all her children and so did her spouse
She loved them all so she gave each a pear
And then took them all to Temple Square
Here's the 4th one.
There was an old lady who lived in a house
And all of her children kept out every mouse
So she gave each child a small piece of candy
And all of their lives were quite fine and dandy
Here's the 5th one.
There was an old lady who lived in a car
She gave all her children a small, little jar
Inside each jar was a small little pet
Each child was so happy they never did fret
Here's the 6th one.
There was an old lady who lived in a tree
She had lots of children even one that was three
They found different leaves in the spring and the fall
And every last child was having a ball
Last one!
There was a young teacher who lived in a school
She taught all her children who sat on a stool
She taught them all math and gave them all candy
And all of there lives were quite fun and dandy
That is a very cute dress.
mine-
there was an old woman who lived in a shoe
she had so many children she didn't know what to do
so she packed up their bags to go away
where they frolicked and played and had a great day.
bens-
there was an old woman who lived in a stump
with kids so abundant her house was a real dump
but she read them fun stories and snuggled in bed
their family grew stronger or so it was said
oops. i wasn't supposed to put in 'real' before the 'dump'
Love the dress!
Post a Comment