Wednesday, June 1, 2011

algebra test score < acceptable


I had my first algebra exam today. After doing all the required homework problems for each section I was
< certain that I was understanding the whole mess. So, with my first exam looming, I went back and worked every single problem in every single section that we'd covered. I looked over my notes, re-read all the instructions in each section, used the "student solution guide" as a help when necessary, and spent every spare minute I had doing algebra. I did algebra problems for two to four hours a day for eight days running, until I thought I'd finally figured out what I was doing. I was even getting through the story problems quite well. So I went to class this afternoon feeling pretty confident in my ability to pass the test, and pass it well.

And then we got our exams. I was unsure of how to solve a few problems, but all of the story problems completely threw me for a loop. Oh, I can do the math, but I couldn't figure out how to set up the problems. And with each problem that I couldn't quite solve, I got more freaked out and tense (that's Loralee taking a test), so my solutions to some of the other questions were . . . questionable. At best I will pass with 80%. That's if I only missed the problems that I either gave up on or ran out of time to puzzle out.

Tonight, in retrospect, I've reached the conclusion that I really did understand how to do all the story problems—in context of doing 15 to 20 of the same type of problem in a row. :-(

I am very sad. I feel very discouraged. I worked my bum off for that pathetic score! Or maybe just my fingers. 80% is unacceptable! I don't know why, but I feel compelled to be an A student.

B < acceptable.

No comments: