Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Not of the world

The kids at school make me sad. Yesterday I discovered that a young girl who is in lots of my classes, Miss B, smokes. I'm pretty sure it's a new habit she's taken up. It made me genuinely sad when she came in late, smelling like smoke. (And yes, it was her and not a friend she was hanging with; she said today that she's smoking "for now.") She's 18 or 19 years old.

Last week, Miss B announced—as if it were a big joke—that her roommate (same age) was pregnant. Some other girls asked Miss G, "Really?" And she said, "Oh, maybe. I'll know in a couple weeks." as if it were no big deal. Miss G is also around 18 or 19.

Another day I heard a conversation between Miss B and Miss R; they were talking about getting drunk and how much fun they have. Miss R said that once she was with a group of friends, and she got "sooo drunk," and they took "drunk pictures" that she had to delete from her camera later. I can only imagine. Well, no; I probably can't (and I'd rather not).

Today young Mr. F was talking about how the guy he's interested in is in a relationship with someone else, and how his mother worries that one of the male teachers at school might be interested in him. (Not worried about a relationship with another guy, as far as I can tell; just that it could be a relationship with a teacher.)

And they all compare their "pretty" tattoos (everyone), and the girls talk about the boyfriends they are living with but don't know if they could marry. And my friend who is nearer to my age, talks about her awful ex-husband all the time, and makes it sound like men are just vile. She says she'd like to remarry, but her consensus with another divorced classmate is that you just can never know if you can trust a guy.

If we took a vote I think the majority of my classmates would say they don't want to get married, they certainly don't want to have children, and I know for a fact that at least two of my class members think abortion is OK and every woman's right.

They are all nice people—I like them. So it makes me sad to hear them talk. At first I was just kind of shocked; I thought these attitudes were only on TV and in movies—pure Hollywood stuff. But these kids really think this way and do these things. It brings me down to hear them.

I hadn't realized how sheltered I have been. Thank goodness I've been taught to be in the world, but not of it.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is so sad! I'm right there with you about being "in the world" and not "of the world."

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

It's so sad seeing people live that way. I can relate-- attending college was a huge eye-opener for me as well. Institute became a refuge for me. Walking across the street from the college and entering the Institute building was like stepping out of the filth and into the light again, and it reminded me of who I was and how much I was grateful for the gospel in my life.

Stephanie said...

Here's my final entry for your poetry contest. :)

Today is the day, I can hardly wait!
So please do not procrastinate!
You're going to choose!
No time to loose!
I've been waiting so long for this happy date!