Today is the day, I can hardly wait!
So please do not procrastinate!
You're going to choose!
No time to loose!
I've been waiting so long for this happy date!
All you poets were quite unexpectedly prolific, and have given me several limericks to add to my collection! I was a little worried at first, because Christine was the only one to enter any poems for several days. I thought that she would win by default—which would be no fun! But then the limericks came rollling in. Yay, you!!
Before I announce the big winner, here is my limerick:
There was an old king named King Fred
Who wore a gold crown on his head.
He lost it one day,
Much to his dismay,
So he wears a felt derby instead.
And now here are this year's many, many entries:
From Christine:
In Utah there lives an old fool
Who never quite made it to school.
She grabbed a balloon
And formed a baboon.
Then children and friends said "How cool!"
An autobiographical limerick (although I wouldn't call her "an old fool" by any means!).
Also from Christine:
Three sisters who can't sing a note
Had practiced a song that they wrote.
The brothers all cried.
The parents just sighed.
Their voices were worse than the goat.
Delightful! This one ranks with the many, many limericks I already have memorized. Perfect.
Christine #3:
There was a young guy with a pig.
It grew up to be rather big.
He ran out of bacon.
The pig started shakin'.
"Come here, little piggy pig pig."
And, Christine #4:
I once knew a guy so silly
In summer he thought it was chilly
When it snowed he was warm
He would dance in a storm
He even thought meadows were hilly
Christine did a wonderful job!
Kaylie was the second to enter her poems. They are:
Licks, sticks, licks, sticks, lick, sticks, LICKS, STICKS!
All I get from my dog, licks, sticks!
Not one of his toys
from that naughty boy!
All I get is some licks and sticks!
Kaylie #2:
As I promised, a limerick.
It will probably make you sick.
But no matter what,
please do not say but,
please! I beg of you! Don't say ick !
I liked this one a lot. :-) Kaylie #3, inspired by the movie, Tangled:
Rapunzel dear, now listen here!
Why is your hair so tangled dear?
Tangles everywhere!
Don't you brush your hair?
Brush your hair for goodness' sake dear!
Very good!
Kaylie #4:
That silly little Willy Boy
got too near a goat named Billy Boy.
Billy Boy was blue
feeling so down, too. :(
Such a silly boy is Willy Boy!
Very good, Kaylie!
Rachel also sent me four poems which I really liked a lot, but they weren't quite limericks:
A cat and a dog,
running in the fog.
What a silly sight to see!
An owl in a tree,
watching as they flee
chasing after one another!
Rachel #2:
If you have found
a bone in the ground
and you have a big red hound,
give the bone to the hound
and you'll be safe and sound.
Rachel #3:
With a big full moon
you will see soon
a big gray wolf that will howl
till the gulf starts shaking
from that sound the wolf is making
the bone-chilling
yet thrilling sound.
Very descriptive—I like "the bone-chilling yet thrilling sound!"
Rachel #4:
There was a dog in a bog
who was afraid of the fog
when the fog set in
he found a floating bin
and he climbed in
and went where a
good hound should go.
Yay for Rachel!
And this little gem came from Brandon:
I say you really shouldn't be thinking
That you think this poem is stinking
It's really not that bad
So please don't be mad
Or my heart will probably start sinking.
Brandon's heart can stay in place; this one doesn't stink at all. :-)
Jason's entry:
Some seventy sailors at noon
Each had in their hand, a spoon.
"Give us food!" they cried,
But the cook denied,
And soon found himself a maroon.
I actually did laugh out loud when I read this one. :-)
From Becky:
There once was a girl from Peru,
Who learned how to play the kazoo.
All day she did hum.
Her lips became numb.
Was it really worth to pursue?
Becky #2:
There once was an arrogant jockey,
Who boasted he could play hockey.
Though his five-foot frame
Made him lose the game,
It did not make him less cocky.
Both excellent—very limericky. S
tephanie's entries:
There once was a little boy.
He thought he was very coy
He fell on his britches
and had to get stitches.
He then got a brand new toy!
Stephanie #2:
Hey there little miss.
Where's your little sis'?
She went to find money
So she could buy honey
To put upon her dish.
Stephanie #3 (same poem, different ending):
Hey there little miss.
Where's your little sis'?
She went to find money
So she could buy honey
To give to her poor fish.
Stephanie #4:
There once was bee
Who could not see.
He found a small flower
But thought it was sour
And flew back to his tree.
After a short break, Stephanie entered four more! Aren't limericks fun?
Stephanie #5:
I really don't mean to impose,
But I have to go blow my nose!
It could be an issue
So please get a tissue.
For it's dripping down on my toes!
Another for my collection. :-)
Stephanie #6:
My poor little Missy-moo.
She didn't know what to do!
She sat there an cried
Because she had tried
But we didn't want to eat her stew.
Stephanie #7:
I really am no poet
and now you really know it!
Because I have tried
You sat there and cried,
And tried hard not to show it.
Tee-hee! tephanie #8:
This really is such fun.
But nothing will get done.
My house is a mess
And I could care less
As I think of another one.
Yes, I'd rather write limericks than clean house or run errands, too!
Another from Becky:
Seven little mice in a hole,
Found themselves bunked with a mole.
“Kind sir,” they did cry,
“Must you dwell so nearby?
There is not much food in our bowl.”
And an entry from my sweetheart, Bruce:
A fine little Lady of mine
Has asked me to make up a rhyme.
It takes a short while
with a wink and a smile
to make a good rhyme really shime.
That is one shimy rhyme, Bruce!
Lindsey also sent four entries. Isn't it funny how they seem to come in groups of four?
Lindsey #1:
In time of writers block...
there's something wrong with that clock.
see how it dangles,
from every wrong angles
boy, go fetch me a rock.
Lindsey #2:
There was was a gal in need.
in need of some colorful bead.
but when she found none
she cried quite a ton
for she was in need of bead.
Lindsey #3:
I once happened to cross
my very old boss.
and when he saw me
he cried "hee hee hee!"
as he walked across the moss
I like this one. I might say "my very, very old boss" just for the meter, though.
Lindsey #4:
There once was a young man,
who had a splendid tan
yellin' as he walked "look at me!
I'm a better then all ya'll!"
That prideful man, with the splendid tan.
This could be another limerick-collection limerick, except that the fourth line doesn't rhyme. But the idea is perfect. Whoa! Two more from Stephanie:
Stephanie #9:
My life is not a mess;
Although, it's quite a stress.
I cannot say,
So go your way.
I'm going to make a dress.
Stephanie #10:
Happy birthday Jana!
I like your pink bandanna!
You are so sweet,
Please eat a treat.
Enjoy your birthday Jana!
And one final entry from Christine:
A chocolate chip cookie is great
and ice cream with cake add some weight
A pie makes me smile
But once in a while
Mint Brownie's preferred on my plate!
Oh, I got that message loud and clear! And it was funny, too! Can you believe all these limericks? We could write a book! And it was a tough choice. Honorable mention must go to Christine, for the sisters who sang like the goat. Honorable mention to Becky for the arrogant jockey. Honorable mention to Stephanie for the tissue issue. Honorable mention to Brandon for the non-stinking limerick. And Honorable Mention to Lindsey for the very old boss, and the prideful man with the tan [just fix up that rhyme ;-)!] It was a tough decision, but I finally had to go with the one that honestly did make me laugh out loud. So the prize for first place in the 2011 Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest, in the "everyone else" division goes to Jason for the hungry sailors!
Some seventy sailors at noon
Each had in their hand, a spoon.
"Give us food!" they cried,
But the cook denied,
And soon found himself a maroon.
(Wild applause here)
I only had two contestants in the children's division; and that was a really tough decision for a mom to make. Rachel definitely gets Honorable Mention for her poems; but since she didn't quite follow the rules of a limerick, I chose Kaylie's Rapunzel limerick: Rapunzel dear, now listen here!
Why is your hair so tangled dear?
Tangles everywhere!
Don't you brush your hair?
Brush your hair for goodness' sake dear!
(More wild applause here)
Jason and Kaylie will be receiving their treats and their certificates within the next couple of days. And their limericks will be posted in my sidebar.
Thank you all for playing with me!

4 comments:
Thank you for the fun! Reading all the submissions was my favorite part. My favorite was Stephanie's limerick about needing a tissue. Very fun!
I look forward to next years contest. :) I loved Jason's also. Sorry I submitted so many, it was just so fun. :)
I liked the ending to Lindsey's clock poem. THAT made me laugh!
On THe thing with the Man with a Tan, I did mean to say 'ye' insead of "ya'll" But when I wrote them I was getting ready for seminary, and I wasn't paying much attention to what I wrote when I typed it all up for the blog. SO ther are my excuses.
I'm glad you liked my clock poem Michael. I enjoyed writing it!
Post a Comment