Friday, December 3, 2010

Ah, Sweet Success!

I have finished my biggest school projects (and they are marvelous!), and it's as if the weight of the world has been lifted. I knew I was stressed out about all the work I had to do, but I didn't entirely realize just how stressed I was until it was over with. I feel so good, and happy, and . . . light now!
So let me tell you about the projects:

In Patterns I had to design an outfit that had a skirt or pants and a blouse/shirt; I had to change the darts or shape of the pattern from the original slopers; I had to include a collar or facing on the top and I had to do sleeves—also different from the original slopers. (Slopers are basic patterns without seam allowances on them.) We also had to turn in an illustration of the outfit.

As soon as we got the assignment I started thinking of what I might want to do. At first I thought I'd like some kind of dressy blouse with a flouncy ruffle that went around the neck and down the front opening, with 3/4 length sleeves and a flounce at the sleeve hem. I thought that if I could continue the blouse-ruffle down the skirt somehow, that would be cute. But my pictures all looked pretty stupid—like pajamas, at best.

Yes, I sat in my other classes and doodled pictures

Then I thought that instead of a frilly ruffle, I'd make a pleated, stand-up neck ruffle; I liked that. My next thought was to make a full, pleated skirt and a little belt to go with it. Closer, but still not right. So I thought of adding a pleated peplum to the blouse—which would make it more like a jacket.


Finally decided that to get the look I'd really like, I'd do away with the full skirt and make a straight skirt with a pleated ruffle at the hem; I wouldn't pleat the peplum; and the bodice was a lot cuter if it was cut down almost to the navel. Hm. I guess this means I need a blouse under the jacket now. So I decided to make a sleeveless, scoop-neck blouse with French darts. And then, the very last evolution was to make it a dress, instead of a skirt and blouse, with the jacket and belt. This was really overkill—much more than I was assigned to do. But I couldn't help it; once I had this great idea I had to finish it!

I spent several hours making the patterns, but couldn't decide on colors. Finally I decided to go look at Wal-mart's bargain fabrics; the fabric textures I liked would determine the colors. Now, I would never really make clothing out of any of these horrible fabrics; the suit was drapery stuff, the pleats a stiff, polyester home-fabric, and the blouse a cheap costume satin. But I did achieve a great look—the textures are lovely, and I love the colors.

And when it was all made, I realized that I'd also made an "day to evening" outfit: Take off the jacket, replace the belt and you're ready to leave the office and go on a date. ;-)

Here are my swell drawings (I can trace a body off a pattern envelope as well as the next girl):

check out my drawing of Jamie Lee Curtis! ;-)

And here are pictures of the outfit itself on the mannequin at school:

day . . .

. . . to evening

I have to admit that I love my little dress—I'd wear it myself (then I'd have a designer dress! Haha!). Janet (the instructor) said it was a lovely design, she loved the colors, and she said it's a very marketable design. :-) The girls in my class loved it too. Everyone presented really cute stuff on Wednesday, but they went nuts over my dress—they even told Janet that she should give me extra credit for it. :-) Janet said, "What good would that do? She's already at the top."

I flew home on clouds! Who couldn't have a stupendous, happy day after that?

4 comments:

Kim said...

Love Love LOVE your dress! Beautiful work, as always! ;-)

Stephanie said...

That's awesome! I absolutely love it! You are so talented, you amaze me. :)

Ben and Tami said...

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want a dress out of drapery material. I'm sure it would flow just lovely.

It is a very nice dress. Oh man, I should have asked you my question yesterday. oh well, I forgot.

orangemily said...

I love the dress!
You are an awesome designer!