School has been lots of fun. Fortunately I don't have a lot of homework. But I thought I'd share some of what I'm doing with you—you may find it interesting.
In Intermediate Sewing we are learning how to do what I have always thought of as basic sewing: setting in sleeves, putting in zippers, etc. But we are learning some little tips that make it easier and more professional-looking. A lot of the younger girls in class are already asking me how to complete the in-class projects (half-size samples).
I have the most homework for Pattern-Making —at least I would, except our teacher shows us how to do our homework during class-time; so if you "get it" in class, then no homework. We have been learning to move darts. No, I am not talking about the kind you throw at a target. We take a "sloper" (a pattern with no seam allowances) and change it so instead of looking like this:
In Intermediate Sewing we are learning how to do what I have always thought of as basic sewing: setting in sleeves, putting in zippers, etc. But we are learning some little tips that make it easier and more professional-looking. A lot of the younger girls in class are already asking me how to complete the in-class projects (half-size samples).
I have the most homework for Pattern-Making —at least I would, except our teacher shows us how to do our homework during class-time; so if you "get it" in class, then no homework. We have been learning to move darts. No, I am not talking about the kind you throw at a target. We take a "sloper" (a pattern with no seam allowances) and change it so instead of looking like this:
it looks like this:

or this:
or this:

We do a lot of drawing, cutting and pasting in that class—kind of like first grade. Way fun!
For my homework in Textiles today (an in-class presentation) I talked about my underwear. And not just any underwear; no, this was a pair of black lace "boy-pants."
Why on earth would anything that looks like this be called "boy pants?"
We had to choose an item of clothing that had failed in its serviceability (usefulness) because of the fabric it was made of—not the design or the construction, but the actual fabric. While other kids used sweaters, swimsuits, etc, I chose, yes, lingerie. You may question the serviceability of lacy boy-pants, and I wouldn't blame you. But Bruce helped me choose the garment to write/talk about. The biggest problem with this item is that it feels really rough—not nice to wear and, apparently, not nice to touch either. This problem has to do with a quality that, in talking about textiles, is called "hand," which just means "the way it feels."
Hmmm. Did I have the guts to go into a class of twenty people, show them my little black panties and say, "The trouble with these panties is the hand." ???
I did it. I determined that if it had been made of different fibers (they are composed of 93% nylon and 7% spandex) it would have had much nicer hand. The teacher, Janet (who is a very funny lady), agreed. "With a garment of this type," she said, "a rough hand might spoil the moment."
I think people in the fashion school are going to know my name.
Hmmm. Did I have the guts to go into a class of twenty people, show them my little black panties and say, "The trouble with these panties is the hand." ???
I did it. I determined that if it had been made of different fibers (they are composed of 93% nylon and 7% spandex) it would have had much nicer hand. The teacher, Janet (who is a very funny lady), agreed. "With a garment of this type," she said, "a rough hand might spoil the moment."
I think people in the fashion school are going to know my name.

3 comments:
Sounds like so much fun!
Oh, I would have PAID to see you give that presentation!
And, I agree...the prettiest lingerie is often the most uncomfortable to wear.
That's funny! I would never have been able to give that presentation. :) I'm glad you're enjoying your classes!
Post a Comment