Bruce had posted his story as a comment, but I thought it should go right here where everyone would be sure to see it. I did ask him to add a little more detail than he put in the original comment—I hope he doesn't embarrass anyone! ;-)
I planned this for YEARS! I spent a lot, but IT WAS WORTH IT. That summer I realized that I only had 2 terms of school, and then I was DONE! I loved Loralee, and appreciated her support and sacrifice for me to go to school—so I took some student loan money and started setting up The Dream Date.
I had so much fun arranging all this. It took four weeks to set it up. One day, I took Loralee on a "cheap date" to try on prom rental dresses. It was more fun than I predicted to see my pretty gal in lots of different gowns! When I found out how little it cost to buy last year's fashions, I bought her favorite—in green—when I went back to get fitted for my tux. Each store was run by women, and they would all say "awww!" when I explained what I was doing. I wanted to build up suspense for Loralee, so I wanted her to have lots of places to go and nice things to do. I rented a tux and got her dress (Awww!), I arranged the facial, manicure, hair (Awww!) evening caterers (Awww!), and lunch (Awww!). As I began to see the scope of this whole thing, I realized I should have pictures of this big event! But I didn't want to take them myself (I wanted to be in the pics, too!) so I arranged for a professional photographer. She's a nice lady with classic southern accent and manners:
"Is this a big formal dance?"
"No, ma'am."
"Is it her birthday?"
"Not until April."
"Well it must be y'all's wedding anniversary!"
"That's in March."
"Well now then, what's the big occasion? it's not Valentine's in August!"
"No, Ma'am. I just want to show her I love her."
"Awww! This is so sweet! You need to have a talk with my husband."
I never expected the reactions from all the ladies at all the stores I went to. But by the time of the big day, as I made final arrangements—just minutes ahead of Loralee!—I was predicting every word of conversation when I paid the girls at Castner-Knott's (Awww!). I didn't know I could have such a profound emotional effect on so many females I didn't even know—all the compliments, dreamy-eyed smiles, and heavy sighs—I could get used to that. Meanwhile...
I wanted everything to go right—I had built a very complicated day, with notes in the right places, flowers, all the shops expecting Loralee at the right times—I was nervous! I finished early, and had an hour or two before Loralee would be at Simply Southern. It was too early to check in to our room, so I went back to my now-empty home and paced the floor, wondering if everything was going according to plan for Loralee. I was too nervous to eat. Finally, after ages of reviewing every detail over and over, I figured I could go to the Bed and Breakfast. I set things up as fast as I could, and it seems like there were a few things I hadn't considered until I started laying it out in our suite. Then the doorbell rang—Loralee!!! But it's not ready yet! I felt so intense—or tense—I had wanted everything to build up to the moment when I would have her with me in our room, alone. I waited in the bedroom of the suite, and I heard Georgia walk Loralee down the hall to the main door of the suite. I slipped out the back door, into the hallway, as Loralee came around. Okay, she will see the flower, read the note, change clothes, and then...! I was so nervous I was nearly shaking. I couldn't stand it. She knocked on the door, I went back into the bedroom, and she looked stunning. And hot. And I couldn't talk. Or anything else. All I could do was take off her blindfold and, well, she did kiss me. A lot. So I didn't have to talk much. But the photographers were coming soon, so we had to get her into her dress and out to meet them.
It was awesome to finally be with Loralee.
It was a wonderful twenty-four hours. I am married to the most beautiful, loyal, smart, sexy, bright-eyed babe of all time! I'll do this for you again, Girlfriend—except, this time, maybe I'll drive for you—or hire a limo to drive for us! Then I could hold your, um, hand—while we drive. ;) Waddya say—will you go with me, Loralee?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Who wouldn't fall for this guy?
Post a Comment