Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bad Mom! BAD Mom!

Today I cleaned my girls' bedroom. The entire floor was covered with papers and other garbage—you'd think you were walking through the recycle bin if you went in there. I've been after them to clean it for a long time now; they've done a little bit, but have come nowhere close to finishing. So I gave in and did it myself. I know there are plenty of people who would say that is bad parenting; I should make my girls clean their own room. I suppose you will all say I am hopeless as a mom when I tell you that I'm going to clean Brandon and Ryan's room too. But it really needs to get cleaned; besides the garbage and dirty clothes strewn all over the entire floor, their room has two stinky rats in it. No, not Brandon and Ryan; I mean the real, furry kind. I just can't take the smell of our dear, little rodents on top of the odor of boys' dirty room. Yes, I've asked, bribed and threatened them to get it clean, but to no avail. If I really want it clean, I'll have to do it myself.

The kids and I do have an understanding that "if Mom has to clean your bedroom, then she gets to do whatever she wants with your stuff; this includes giving or throwing it away." It's still been left for me, so I get rid of stuff. They don't really seem to care. I suppose you could say that we are both getting our own way; I get clean rooms and they get no work. But I hardly think this counts as a win/win situation.


Yes, it is bad parenting. But this is not a parenting issue any more. In the first place, if someone were to come see those rooms the house might be condemned. Can't have that! But, seriously,the real issue is my sanity: the battle of the wills is far more difficult than the six hours (per room) of physical labor. And so I labor.

It is very frustrating! Despite what so many people seem to think, I just can't do everything. At least not all at once. I can't seem to keep on top of my own chores: washing dishes and laundry all day long, cooking and cleaning up again all day long, shopping, paying bills, extras—like canning tomatoes; cleaning my own room. But the girls' room is clean. Wonder how long that will last?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hear you! I CANNOT.STAND.CLUTTER! I just deal with it and clean it myself. The toys go into a time out.

And yes, it is VERY FRUSTRATING!

I think this is one of the reasons we are friends.

Kim

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

You are not a bad mother. :) I think every mother has to do that, one time or another. I have to clean up rooms at least twice a year with Scott and Emma. They are required to clean their rooms every week on Friday, but as you well know, their rooms never get fully cleaned.

I do have one advantage with Scott and Emma, though: they HATE the idea of me taking away their toys. All I have to do is threaten to clean the rooms myself and they take off to clean it at full speed!

You did an amazing job, by the way. The girls room looks gorgeous.