Monday, April 10, 2017

Ding-Dong-Dell, The Contest's Death Knell

Well, today is the long anticipated day! Or, maybe not.

It is time to judge the 2017 Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest. 


This year's contest was to write a nursery rhyme, but only one person entered, and that was Jason. (Yay, Jason!) He did enter two poems, so I guess there is a tiny amount of judging to do here.

Anyway, as per tradition, before we look at the new poetry or announce the winner, here is my token rhyme:

Mom thought it was time
To see a new rhyme.
A poetry contest? A must!
But only one son
Entered…and won.
As a contest it turned out a bust.



And now for the actual entries (which might be considered "College Rhymes" instead of "Nursery Rhymes," but maybe that's the same thing...)

First, from Jason North we have:

A young college student
did know it was prudent
To study by day and sleep by night.
But he met a nice girl,
in a dress she would twirl,
and together they dine each night.



Also from Jason:

Blaine the prankster
And Jason the jokester
Once got together to plot.
When their results they found pleasing
They both were laughing and wheezing;
Their victim, of course, was not.


I might remove the words "When" and "They" from lines four and five—my ear likes that meter a little better. But the poem is pretty great. 

And now for the big moment...

The winner of the 2017 Loralee's Fancy Poetry Contest is... Jason North with his "Prankster" rhyme.  Yaayyy! 

So, Jason, let me know what dessert you prefer, and I'll make it when we bring you home from school. And I'll throw in a copy of  Loralee's Fancy Book of Poetry, which features all the poems from the first five years of my poetry contest.

Thanks for playing! :-)




1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sorry I didn't submit anything! I meant to, but nothing ever came to mind for me to write. I love you, Mom!