For the past two Sundays we attended church at the Hilliard Ward in Wyoming. When we left home we didn't think we'd be able to go to church at all on the weekends we'd be staying at camp. Consequently I didn't pack any skirts or dresses for the girls or myself. Then we found out that we could go to church only thirty miles from here. We were assured that in the Hilliard Ward they were used to visitors attending in casual wear throughout the summer months. Nevertheless I was a little uneasy about the clothes situation. I've been taught my whole life that wearing your Sunday best--a nice dress for ladies or a suit (or at least a dress shirt and tie)--showed your respect for God, and I have always tried to dress my best for church. The menfolk did all right because they could wear their class A uniforms to church; while it's not their usual Sunday, go-to-church attire it at least looks like they tried to dress up. You know, uniforms are always classy. Scout uniforms maybe a little less so, but still . . .
Lindsey also had her class A uniform--which seemed a little stranger church wear for a girl, but at least it still looked like she tried tried her best. But the younger girls and I had only T-shirts, jeans, and sneakers to wear. It was completely true that the ward members didn't mind; they greeted us warmly, shook our hands, welcomed us, and didn't even bat an eye at our clothing. I was still a little uncomfortable though. The worst part was my big, clunky shoes; well maybe they tied with my blue jeans. I just wanted to sit in the very back and tuck my feet under my chair. But, as I said, the ward members were really nice and didn't appear to notice our clothes (or clunky shoes) at all. When I expressed my discomfort to one of the ladies who had introduced herself to me she said, "Honey, this is Hilliard Ward!" :-)
A lot of the men in the ward were wearing felted wool vests instead of suit-coats, bolo ties, and cowboy boots. They looked very nice, but it's not a look I've seen often outside of TV. And when a young man made a comment in Sunday School and mentioned that he'd been "riding horses and pushing cows" it was evident that we were not in Salt Lake City any more!
![]() |
| We had to go to Wyoming to go to church! |
So, anyway, church was nice. Better the second week than the first, because I was a little more accustomed to the idea of my very casual wear at Sacrament Meeting. At least our clothes were clean. Yes, despite the dust and dirt that pervades the camp, our clothes were clean. We have access to a washer and dryer up here! That's one for HSR over Steiner. It was a nightmare last year trying to wash a week's worth of laundry for ten people and have it packed back into the van and ready to go in less than twenty-four hours every weekend.
On our way to church the first week here a big moose crossed the road right in front of our van! It made me wish that I always had my camera in hand and ready to shoot. Sadly, my camera battery died yesterday afternoon; I wanted to bring the battery-charger up here because I knew we'd have electricity, but in the craziness of cleaning house and packing, the silly thing completely disappeared. :-( It turns out that my memory card will fit into Michael's camera, so I may just have to commandeer that. I do have a little guilt over that thought, though.
![]() |
| And here we are on our way back from church. (We had another staffer friend with us—she took the pics.) |
Yesterday, after a fairly quiet Sunday ,and a tiny little Father's Day celebration of our own, it was kind of disappointing to have the whole staff show up again in the evening. Yeah, that's what we are here for; it isn't really paid vacation. But it was still kind of a let-down. Today went pretty well though. I think Courtney (my supervisor) and I are learning to understand each other--not that we've ever disliked each other or anything. Just getting to know and work with new people, you know. I will do well enough here; I will do well enough.



No comments:
Post a Comment