This mom has been very remiss! Last year Lindsey won first place in literature in the "Inspirations" contest (the Utah Charter Schools version of the "Reflections" contest that's put on by Granite School District). I thought I had posted her poem here, on my blog, until I was looking through the 2010-2011 blog book that I just had printed. Her poem is not in there! Oh noooo!!
The theme of the 2011 "Inspirations" contest was If Only, and while there were lots of versions of things like, "If only I could . . . (fly, have a ton of jelly beans, etc)," Lindsey had a unique take—and a very mature idea, I think. So I am posting her work now because it's a great poem, and I'm very proud of her. (And it's almost April—what better way is there to lead into National Poetry Month than to post a really good poem?)
Here it is:
Don't I have a talented daughter? :-)
The theme of the 2011 "Inspirations" contest was If Only, and while there were lots of versions of things like, "If only I could . . . (fly, have a ton of jelly beans, etc)," Lindsey had a unique take—and a very mature idea, I think. So I am posting her work now because it's a great poem, and I'm very proud of her. (And it's almost April—what better way is there to lead into National Poetry Month than to post a really good poem?)
Here it is:
Dreams and Nightmares
by Lindsey North
Gone forever,
while the
If Only's
remain.
Sometimes
gone for
a while
But still
the If only's
remain.
If Only;
The words of
dreamers
and sinners.
The words
that float in
and out
of Dreams
and Nightmares.
Don't I have a talented daughter? :-)

1 comment:
I was floored when I first read this poem. She matched my own thoughts about the topic, and no other kid of ANY age talked about regrets connected with the theme. Yes, I agree: quite mature.
Post a Comment