The Great Kitchen Project

Days 1-4 (July 16-19): I'm still using the "think system."
Days 5-6 (July 20-21): I removed all the upper cabinets' doors, washed those cabinets and sanded them. I think that just cleaning up all those greasy dust bunnies that collect up top should count as a remodel all by itself. Icky work! And after all my scrubbing, the electric sander still removed an amazing amount of built-up goo. It occurs to me that sanding your cabinets is a truly marvelous way to get them clean. Of course, this may lead to problems in the size of your cabinetry after a while.
On Day 6 (yesterday) I also removed the hood/vent from above the stove, thinking that if I really wanted to do a good, beautiful, professional-looking job I would paint behind the hood too. And, besides, it really (really) needed some extra scrubbing. When I saw the idiotic—and probably not quite code—way the thing was wired, I changed my mind about my "professional" paint job that would include painting behind the hood (because I also saw that it would include re-routing the wires in a decent way and doing a major wall repair. Just keep that hidden behind the hood, thanks). I did still label all the wires with different colored markers, and some with different types of tape, and took the hood down and spent an hour and a half scrubbing it. Unfortunately, while I was cleaning, some of my tape slipped off of some of the wires. I put the sparkly-clean hood back, but how on earth do the wires go back together?
Day 7 (July 22): Bruce is trying to figure out and repair my hood-wiring fiasco—apparently the wires connected to the hood are also connected to the outlet we use for the stove. Fortunately it's just a regular outlet and not a super-duper 220 outlet (because we have a gas stove); so we could plug it into another close-by outlet. Still, we gotta get that fixed!
And today I need to get the kitchen clean before I can really do anything else. Perhaps I'll sand the doors today, if there's time after the cleaning and the mom-stuff.

3 comments:
Whew, sounds like a lot of work!
I thinks it's time for another update with pictures! Or I could walk over and see it for myself. I might even be willing to chip in and help.
Way to go Loralee!! I hope you got your wiring all fixed, :)
Post a Comment