
After months of prompting from my two oldest sons, I decided to join facebook. At first it was really cool . . .
. . . because about two days after I joined, my sister-in-law had her baby and so I got up-to-the-minute (well, almost) updates on the baby's arrival. That was really cool!
But everything else has been, for the most part, pretty darn boring. I suddenly have all these messages from "friends" that I only just barely (the barest of barely's) know. People who know my name from school, whose names I remember, but that I was never more than aquaintances with. But I am their "friend" now--like a new charm on their bracelet. And I've heard about all their daily stuff--from having to go to the doctor several times in a week (although I don't know why) to being so sick with a stomach bug that the bathroom can't stay clean, to how angry they are with their husband, to which type of dog they like the best. And not only that, but I get to hear from their friends too, through comments on their one-line posts.

Then there's all these quizzes (how sexy is your name), and games (food-fight!) that are, basically, phenomenal time-wasters. I already waste enough time on the computer without the help of facebook.
I do have to admit, I kind of like the "Kidnap" game. Mostly because I play that one with my family--my kids, my cousin, my in-laws. And I don't mind hearing from my relatives--kind of like it, in fact. But even from them you rarely get much information. I guess mostly you get to see that people are still alive.
The whole thing is only marginally interesting.
I suppose I am just too self-centered for facebook, because I find my life far more interesting than learning that the girl who moved out of my ward four years ago has been having diarrhea and throwing up all weekend.
Go figure.

5 comments:
I love facebook, but I don't do any quizzes or games. Reconnecting with people is fun, but I've learned only to accept friend requests from people I'm actually interested in hearing about. I also utilize the groups function so I can click on "Family" and just look at their updates.
You shouldn't add friends if you don't know them well enough to care about what they're saying. You should also change your status more often
LOL! Not on FB yet, but I will probably have to. Nora's school and Daisy troop use it for communication. David set up one for the non-profit he works with. It's only a matter of time before I have to cave in. I see it as a time suck, too...and I already spend too much time on the computer. Oh well...
I'm on facebook, too! I'm with you. I don't get the thrill so many others seem to get.
P.S. You can delete friends and they won't know (unless they pull up their friends list and study it to see you're gone, which I never do). So make some of those unwanted "friends" disappear! ; )
Post a Comment