Friday, May 22, 2009

More Birdie Adventures

Yesterday, when I went out back to grill up some zucchini for lunch (yum!), I saw a magpie chasing a bit of fluttering paper around. But as I looked closer, I realized it looked more like a little, white bird than a paper. And then a second magpie came and they were both picking at it. I was barefoot, and they were in the neighbor's yard, so I called Bruce out to look. He went over and scared the magpies away and, sure enough, they had been tormenting a little parakeet!

Bruce stood guard while I went in the house to get my shoes on and grab something to put the bird in. I also grabbed my garden gloves—you know, so I could handle it like a falconer would, and the scary parakeet wouldn't hurt me. ;-)
No! I'm not really afraid of a little parakeet tearing me up. But I didn't want to just hold it in my bare hand if it was bleeding or anything.

I picked it up pretty easily and the first thing it did was bite my finger and flutter away. But it didn't get far (I think it's wings are clipped), and I caught it a second time. This time it was holding on to my glove with it's beak and it's little claws, and it was kind of hard to get it disentangled and into the box. But we did, and we took it into our house.

I felt sorry for it being in a dark shoebox, but I was able to give it some light by taking the lid off of the shoebox and covering it with a thin piece of plexi-glass instead. I weighted it down with a few apples.
[the parakeet says, "Now what?"]

Now it could have light, and it couldn't escape, but this arrangement would make it pretty easy for Abbi to get the little bird. Did I save it from the magpies just so my cat could have it? Well, no. Fortunately she was doing the lazy-cat-thing when we found the parakeet so she didn't know of it's existence. Yet. But Bruce and I both had to leave the house later, and Abbi just might wake up and decide to do a little hunting. So I put Abbi in the boys' room and put the little birdie box into my room and shut my bedreoom doors. Jessica thought we should close the other bedroom door on Abbi, but I was pretty sure she couldn't open my bedroom door. The little birdie was safe.

Unfortunately, Bruce had left the house before I locked the bird up, and he also got home before I did. He didn't know about the pet arrangements I'd made, and he went into our room and left the door open. Abbi loves our bedroom so she went right on in. And then things happened! She knocked over the box and chased the bird around. Jason was able to grab Abbi and he threw her outside so that Bruce, Michael and Jason could try to catch little parakeet again and make him safe. Parakeet was fluttering all around our room and into the hallway trying to get away from all the scary creatures. He was having a really bad day yesterday.


Jessica admires our new friend (in the safety of a locked bathroom)

Well, he's "safe" in his plexi-glass, apple-covered box again. I looked online to find out what I could feed him, gave him a little dish of water, and there he is. In my bedroom. I have no intentions of keeping a bird—they are so messy! But we have no idea who this birdie belongs to. Last evening my kids even went door-to-door on our street to see if anyone was missing a little, yellow parakeet. Nope.

Now what?

3 comments:

Rebecca Whitcomb North said...

Oh, I want it! I love parakeets.

Poor little birdie. What an adventure for such a small little guy. Or actually-- looking at the pictures-- I'm pretty sure that's it's a female parakeet. The top of her beak is brown, not blue, so that means she's a girl.

Maybe you could post a picture on Craigslist or KSL.com to find the owner.

Loralee said...

I doubt we'll find the owner. Melanie said her kids might want her, but if not then she is yours if you want her--and everyone else over there is agreeable.

Lindsey said...

It is so cute Mom!!!