Saturday, June 7, 2008

Work, Dang-it! WORK!!

I have to question whether any of my family knows how to work. And I'm not sure how to teach them; it just makes me crazy! I tell my sons to go weed out the garden and they start whimpering about the sun shining (even though it's a cool day). I tell my kids to do the dishes and they scatter like bugs in the blink of an eye. And while I run around cleaning the house, they slip off to their rooms to read books, or nap. AAAAAAAHHH!!!

Work is getting blisters on your feet during the first ten minutes of dance class but continuing for the full hour-and-a-half class. Work is going home with the blisters torn and bleeding but still going to the next class two days later. Work is smoothing drywall by yourself until your shoulders ache so badly that you have to stand in the middle of the empty room and cry. And then ten minutes later you go back to the drywall. Work is staying up late and getting up early to finish the project you said you would do—even if the promise was just to yourself. Work is making sure things get done because they need to get done. Tedious doesn't matter. Tired doesn't matter. Pain doesn't matter. Take care of it; get it done. Just do it!

And then work changes. It becomes the magic of an entire audience applauding just for you. It becomes a beautifully finished room. It becomes the honor of keeping your word. It becomes the satisfaction of knowing that you did a great and good thing.

Just do it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write so well, Loralee! This post is the best motivational talk EVER--it's the greatest description of the power and joy of work.
Thank you for writing with your feelings!
Bruce

Anonymous said...

You remind me of Erma Bombeck in the grass is always greener... Recently I purchased one of those signs that says "Who are all these kids and why are they calling me mom"? I intend to hang it over thier new portraits I am going to get taken.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Im with Bruce, this makes me want to work harder.Thank you for inspiring me today!